Shotgun Identification

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns

Shotgun Identification

Post by Guest »

So, I see that there are a lot of old Remington Shotguns that people are trying to identify on this web-site and I was hoping someone could help me out as well. My dad has an old 12 ga. side by side with a side to side toplever. The number stamped on it is 14822 with two dates, one is Aug 1871 and the other is Apr 1872. The barrel has 14922 stamped on the bottom of it and on the bottom side of each barrel, a 3 and an HP is stamped on it. Also, the barrels are damascus barrels. I'm hoping to find the book on Remington Double Shotguns by Charles Semmer, but I thought I might have a little more luck here. Thanks,
Ryan

Correction

Post by Guest »

Actually, I believe the shotgun is a 10 ga....it swallows a 12 ga shell. Hope this helps. Also, the barrel has a lot of beautiful scroll design work. Thanks
Researcher

E. Remington & Sons or Remington Arms Co.

Post by Researcher »

If your gun is marked E. Remington & Sons with a serial number in the 14,xxx range it is likely a Model 1882, and the 3 likely means it is a Grade 3. Grade 1 had "decarbonized steel" barrels, Grade 2 had "twist" barrels and Grade 3 had "Damascus" barrels. None of these lower grades had any engraving. Grades 4 to 7 had increasing amounts of engraving and increasingly finer wood, checkering patterns and Damscus barrels.

Remington Arms Co. only made one model of hammer double, the Model 1889. Grade info would be the same.