Remington 722 Rifles...

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
dick_tracy1953

Remington 722 Rifles...

Post by dick_tracy1953 »

Do any of you fellas collect Remigton 722 rifles. I am sorry to comment that I only have two of them presently. My first was chambered in 257 Roberts and the second one is in 300 Savage. These rifles are very responsive, smooth, and swing as good as my Remington 58 Sportsman shotguns after running deer. I also own a Remington 700 Mountain in 308 Winchester that is good for hunting as well as a Remington 700 in 7mm-08. But there is something about the 722's that has been lost in the 700's. I have been searching for a 721 in 30-06 to add to the mix.

At 200 meters locking in 1 3/4 power (post & horizon line) on the Weaver scope, the Bob produced a five shot 3.5 inch group free hand sitting without the use of a sling. Yesterday, my Mountain produced a three shot group two holes touching with a flyer to measure in the group at 3.5 inches. I was using a Nikon scope dialed in at 4X. The Mountain is a good hunting rifle by not much for a target shooter.

I think that Remington 722's are getting hard to find because those that can shoot will hold on to them for their lifetime.
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

Excellent rifles. One of my favorites too.

I have or have had
300 Sav

Never have even seen a 222 Mag or 243 in 722

I think that might be all the calibres they ever made in 722

I also have in short action 725, calibres 243, and 244.

The 700 short action is so very much the same, yet so different.

The only shortcoming of them is the magazine is a little short for long heavy bullets for 257 and 244
dick_tracy1953

Rem725

Post by dick_tracy1953 »

That is an interesting observation about the magazine on the 257 Roberts and on the 244. I am an avid reloader that trys to seat the bullets so they are just off the lands. I noticed that the chamber in my 722 was much shorter than my friend's custom rifle built on a Mauser action. I have been thinking hard about finding a 722 chambered in 244.

I'm not sure why these rifles have such a short chamber that the bullets must be seated back so far that usable case capacity is lost. Before I started reloading I was given a Remington factory loaded 257 Roberts. The first thing that I noticed was how far the projectile had been seated into the case.

Today I was able to trade for my first Remington 721 chambered in 30-06. It is in nearly perfect condition, inclusive of a Lyman 4X rifle scope (post with horizon line). The rifle came with a leather military sling. I am very happy. It was worth the set up of two tables with friends at the one day show. I checked the barrel dating using the link from this forum to find out that my 721 was manufactured in 1948.

Remington is still running the bolt safety recall on these rifles with a cost of twenty dollars. I had both of my 722's fixed under the recall. I guess that I should do the same for the 721 as I plan to hunt with one or all of these rifles.

Do you fellas have an opinion on the conversion. Does it effect the value.
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

Will you provide the 3006 serial number and barrel date letters. Skip the last 1or2 digits if you want. This would be a good add to our date thread.

That safety recall I believe, removes the safe levers tab that sticks into the bolt to lock it. The safe function down in the trigger is unaffected. I believe it is unnecessary worry. You should unload the blind magazine remingtons by operating the bolt only until each round pops up out of the rails. Then just dump th e round out. Never need to chamber the round. Watch the muzzle direction all the time no matter what.

Make sure the safety function lifts the sear. Watch for a small rearward movement of the cocking piece when you apply the safe.
dick_tracy1953

Rem725

Post by dick_tracy1953 »

That is a good method to unload the blind magazine, however, I went ahead to complete the recall. I never realized that it was possible to unload the rifle without chambering the round. I just started using firearms in August 2000. Before the recall modification I would pull the bolt then fish out the rounds. That was not so easy to do with cold hands.

Is there a special place to post serial numbers along with the barrel date code.
dick_tracy1953

Remington 722 chambered in 300 Savage...

Post by dick_tracy1953 »

This Fall my Remington 722 chambered in 300 Savage had some thing to say to two Michigan Whitetail deer: gotch yah! This was the first time she went a field on the hunt. Remington 150 grain bronze points work magic for quick kills.