11-48 Produced with adjustable choke system

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
jrodcody

11-48 Produced with adjustable choke system

Post by jrodcody »

Hello: I'm new here, and was referred by a fellow at Remington to pursue this information. I would like to know about 11-48s and how to determine (or if it's possible to determine) whether an external choking system was factory original or added to the gun after it left the factory. The fellow at Remington could only tell me that this was a factory option. I have a 12 ga 11-48 with an external choke and am looking at a similar gun in 16 ga. The 12 ga was my grandpa's and I've grown interested in 11-48s because of this.

Any help with the polychoke issue would be appreciated, as well as any links to additional 11-48 information beyond the basics of production dates and other general. Thanks in advance
Virginian

Re: 11-48 Produced with adjustable choke system

Post by Virginian »

Does the barrel have a choke marking - Full, Mod., etc. - on it ? If not, it was likely installed at the factory. If so, aftermarket.
What could have happened... did.
jrodcody

Post by jrodcody »

Thank you for the response. I'm not sure yet if the choke is marked, but this helps.

Here's another question. I'm trying to use the search function of the forum to look up threads about 11-48s and I can't seem to get the search function to return info. Can someone help me with how to put in a search term that returns discussion threads that have 11-48 in them?

Thanks again
jrodcody

Post by jrodcody »

The choke on this is a Herter's. I'm not sure if the actual barrel is marked but from what Virginian says, it sounds like this is aftermarket. Any other thoughts.

Can these things come off?
tudurgs

Post by tudurgs »

Not familiar with the Herter's specifically, but the Polychoke is screwed on. Taking it off will leave a threaded section on the barrel.
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

Remington did not install Herter's chokes at the factory. Only Cutt's and PolyChokes that I know of.
What could have happened... did.