Picked up a 16 gauge sportsman 58

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
hoof

Picked up a 16 gauge sportsman 58

Post by hoof »

Been looking at the 48 and 58's for while, kind of hard to find. Thought I would find one at a huge gun show I went to, and there was one that looked like someone was beating trees with.

Ran down to the local gun shop today and found a 16 gauge 58 on the rack, vent rib, great metal, just a few scratches on the butt. Now I just can't wait to find out if it works, and if I can hit anything with it.

If I like shooting it I may have the barrel bored out for rem chokes, it is fixed modified right now.

Anything I should know?

Thanks,
CHAZ
tudurgs

Re: Picked up a 16 gauge sportsman 58

Post by tudurgs »

Gun appears to be in good shape. IMHO investing in a set of screw chokes will diminish the value of the gun, in addition to the $$$ you invest with Briley. Suggest you buy another M58 barrel
hoof

Post by hoof »

The are none in 16 gauge. You can drill holes in an 870 barrel, but there aren't any of those either.
CHAZ
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

It is not really a collectible gun, and in my opinion a set of properly installed quality screw in chokes adds rather than detracts from the value. Briley's does great work, and have fine products. Never a hint of a problem in years and years dealing with them. The one time they sent me something wrong the new one passed the one going back to them for no charge, and they sent me something extra for my trouble. But, Mike Orlen also does fine work, he gives quick turnarounds, and he is a lot less expensive. I'd do it in a minute if I intended to shoot the gun. I only have one SxS left of all my guns without choke tubes, and that's only because I can't justify having Brileys install a set of thinwalls for what I use it for. But I'm still tempted.
What could have happened... did.