Remington 180th Anniversary - Number of 5 gun sets

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Playtimefun

Remington 180th Anniversary - Number of 5 gun sets

Post by Playtimefun »

Hello... I have recently purcahsed (although they have screwed up in the order and they are re-checking it right now) a Remington 180th Anniversary 5 gun set.

Now the screw up is in the serial numbers because it is supposed to be matching serial numebrs and they are working on getting me a new set with matching numbers (hopefully they still have one), but the question is... how many of the 5 gun sets were manufactured? Or how many of each gun?

I have been told that there are 180 sets (that being 180 of each gun) or is it 36 sets (that being 36 of each gun totalling 180 guns in total)?

I currently have in my possession:
Model 7400 (30-06 Spring.) - Serial #7400ER007
Model 700 (30-06 Spring.) - Serial #700ER007
Model 7600 (30-06 Spring.) - Serial #7600ER008
Model 870 (12 Gauge) - Serial #870ER008
Model 11-87 (12 Gauge) - Serial #1187ER008

All have high grade wood with gold engraving of various animals and flowers, along with a bust of Eliphant Remington. They also have a banner which says Remington 180th Anniversary 1816 to 1996. (I will post some pictures here in the future and will provide to the Remington Society if they wish to post on their web site for historical information as well)

I contacted Remington directly but they were not able to provide me with any additional information asides from what the Remington society says this:

"Fewer than 30 five-gun sets, consisting of a Model 700 bolt-action, Model 870 mp shotgun, Model 1100 autoloader shotgun, Model 7400 autoloader rifle and the odel 7600 rifle, were sold in 1996 to commemorate the 180th Anniversary ofRemington. The Model 7600 left receiver panel had a bear, a bust of Eliphalet mington and a 180th Anniversary banner, all gold embellished. The right panel had two gold embellished deer."

But when I checked the set, it comes with a Model 11-87 not a Model 1100 shotgun, so I am a little leary of the write-up being that it is off on that statement.

Any help that you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

Tim aka Playtimefun
Saskatchewan, Canada
ChuckD

Re: Remington 180th Anniversary - Number of 5 gun sets

Post by ChuckD »

Tim,
I can't add much to what you already know.
Your right the auto shotgun is an 11-87 not the 1100.
It is my opinion that only 35 or 36 sets were made, but that is based on what I've gotten from the Remington Society.
I have set ER018 and haven't been able to get any additional information than you have.
It will be interesting to see if there is more info. available.

Regards,
ChuckD
Gene Myszkowski

Post by Gene Myszkowski »

Tim,
The auto shotgun is the Model 11-87, my error in stating it is a Model 1100. Once you make a mistake that is published it is out there forever. The current (4th Quarter 2009) RSA Journal has an article on the Remington gas operated rifles and I thought I corrected the information. I had but not on the file sent to Roy.

The 180th Anniversary set was advertised by S.I.R. Mail Order, Winnepeg, Manitoba, Canada in the 2nd Quarter 1998 RSA Journal on p. 45. Serial numbers 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 were advertised as available. Information found in the Remington Archives show that 8 sets were shipped in 1997 and 18 sets in 1998 for a total of 26 sets. The reason for noting less than 30 sets is because I have 7400ER0028, picked up as a single piece with no info as to other sn 0028 pieces available. I was not able to confirm if any additional sets and/or single pieces were sent out. There is one set in the Remington Gun Library.

If anyone has serial numbers higher than 26 I would be interested in knowing about them.

Gene
ChuckD

Post by ChuckD »

Gene,
Thanks for the additional information.

ChuckD
Playtimefun

Thank you most kindly for the information!!!!

Post by Playtimefun »

Thank you most kindly for the information Gentlemen.

Yep, Sidney I. Robinson our of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada or now Cabelas Canada (since they bought the company) is where I bought the set (and hopefully a few more of them).

They found the sets sitting in their warehouse after sitting there since 1997. They had 5 sets but started to break them as they were not selling.

I had to send back the mis-matched set (007 and 008 serial numbers) that I received but I have been told that I will be getting a full, serial number 006 set in about 2 weeks. They want to see if they can match them to make more full sets.

I am also trying to get a few of the other guns which are part of a broken set.

I am not sure if you guys want to hear it, but I was planning on shooting one of the 7400 rifles as I do not have a pump deer rifle in my collection and I asked about one of the s7600 for the same reason. I may just have to re-think that.

Since I was one of the first people to ask for a full set, I may have (according to one of the salespeople) first rights to buying more sets. They did have one more full set for sure, but it may have a buyer for it.

Any ideas gentlemen as to the current value of the set? A friend has a very old blue book and it was showing a value of $6,925 (American) for the 5 gun set.

If I get the opportunity, do you think I should try and buy another set?

Tim
Gene Myszkowski

Tim,
The quoted price in 1998 was US$6,934 to 7,453.

I paid a small premium in 2002 over a standard Model 7400 for my 180th 7400 but the dealer was interested in moving it as he had it for over a year. The engraving and gold embellished game figures along with the gold banner and gold bust of Eliphalet Remington the left and right panels were done in Italy and bear the signature of Bottega C. Giovanelli. Modified right and left panels without the gold embellished animals, banner and E. Remington's bust were used as part of the pressure applied fine-line rolled engraving utilized on some Remington pump, autoloading and bolt action firearms starting in 1996.

Gene
Playtimefun

Post by Playtimefun »

Hi Gene

Can I ask where you got that estimated value from?

The Blue Book of Gun Values does not show anything even exists for the 180th Anniversary edition.

Tim
Gene Myszkowski

Hi Tim,

That was the quoted price in their ad in the 1998 RSA Journal. Blue Book would not have a price since so few sets were made and even fewer change hands each year.

Gene
Playtimefun

Post by Playtimefun »

Ahhhh... Makes sense now.

I was wondering what they originally listed for. I could not find a S.I.R. catalogue from 1998 to check and see what they had originally sold for.

Thanks again Gene!

Tim
Heartland Collector

Post by Heartland Collector »

I'm trying to figure out a value for a 3 gun set of rifles from the 180th Anniversary. All 3 are 30-06, new in the box and all serial number ER029. Any suggestions where to look? Thanks for any info you might be able to give me.
Gene Myszkowski

As noted above very few change hands so pricing is difficult. I have a Model 7400 serial number ER028 and paid a small premium in 2002 over a regular 7400 as the dealer wanted to move it. His original price was in the range of a Model Four Anniversary rifle.

Most interesting that serial number 29 has turned up. The records show that 8 sets were shipped in 1997 and 18 sets in 1998.
Heartland Collector

Post by Heartland Collector »

I guess the great mystery of the 180th Anniversary continues. It is interesting that you can find out so much about so many different models and special sets but this one was born is a great time warp void! The 3 set is beautiful not only because of the engraving but the wood is amazing. The gentleman wants $5,900 USD for the 3 NIB, I think that is a fair price, any thoughts?

Thank you for responding.
Gene Myszkowski

The sets were a special order out of Canada. We know the original asking price but aftermarket sales have been nil. I agree - my 7400 has spectacular wood. As to price it might be worthwhile to contact Tim (Playtimefun) to find out what Cabelas - Canada is asking for their sets.

Special orders are aways difficult to get good information on - the factory defers to the wholesaler making the order. I was lucky in the case of Grice as they gave all the info on their special orders.

Gene
Playtimefun

Post by Playtimefun »

Good day Gentlemen

To be honest I have not had the time to worry about trying to determine a value of the 5 gun set lately. I just have been busy with work. Although, I can testify as Gene said earlier, there are so few sets made and the number of guns/sets sold each year that nobody really knows that much about their value.

Cabelas (foremerly Sidney I Robinson aka S.I.R.) out of Winnipeg, Canada has sold everything. Once word got out they sold instantly. And here is what I can tell you about what Cabelas had. They had sets ER005, 006, 007, 008 and 009.

One of the store managers (or a friend of his) apparently now owns set no. ER005.

I own set set no. ER006 (which I am planning on selling) along with I own the pump action (7600) 30-06 from set No. ER008 and I own the semi-auto (7400) 30-06 from set no. ER007.

I do not know if set no. ER009 was split up or not. I personally think that the set was possible split, but Cabelas was going to let me know what happened and I keep forgetting to phone them to find out. I do know that they are gone though.

The wood is really nice on all of them. In fact that is why I now own the extra 7400 because when they earlier sent me a split up set, I fell in love with the wood on it.

Now I may make you guys cringe (or the collectors out there) because as of last weekend the 7600 will put 3 - 165 grain bullets Federal Fusion bullets consistenly around the 0.9 inch mark. And no, the complete gun set was only out of their packing long enough to check and make sure that there were no scratches or dings during shipping. Well... and to make sure that I got a complete set after the first mix-up.

Tim aka playtimefun
Playtimefun

Post by Playtimefun »

Side note - I took some pictures that turned out to be of poorer quality so I am going to take some additional pictures for the future sale and for peoples interst and will post them.

Heartland - if you do buy the set, let me know what you end up paying for it. I am not looking to make a killing on the set that I am going to sell but I am hoping to get what would be considered a fair value so to speak.

One of the earlier gun books for 1998 had the values listed as follows:
Model 700 - $1,372
Model 7400 - $1,372
Model 7600 - $1,332
Model 870 - $1,305
Model 11-87 - $1,465
5 gun set $6,925

And thats as far as I have been able to track anything down.

Tim aka playtimefun