Model 660 Non-Magnum Laminated Stocks?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
rmwright1

Re: Model 660 Non-Magnum Laminated Stocks?

Post by rmwright1 »

350magman: Thanks for the response.

Parts/project gun. That's what I was told a couple of times, but, I don't think so. 1) Remington admitted that it was possible (I have a written reply). 2) I have never seen a 660 receiver with a five digit serial # (also etched on bolt #90xxx), have you? 3) The date of manufacture is right.

I guess that is my question, how many people have seen a 660 with a 5 digit serial#? I have looked at every 660 on the auction sites, and never seen one with only 5 digits.

However, I am not hardheaded. Your conclusion is possible.

Thanks
Dick
rmwright1

Post by rmwright1 »

Wulfman, I apoligize for replying to 350magman. Thanks for the quick response.
Dick
Dick
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Is the bolt handle silver or blue. Im not suprised that the bolt and the action have the same serial number as they were probably installed together. It sounds like someone just replaced the 600 action with a 660 action. The 660 never came with a vent rib.

Billy Smith
rmwright1

Post by rmwright1 »

Remington600: Thanks for the response. The bolt is polished, you have pointed out an obvious difference, no debate from my end. I have a half dozen of each 600's and 660's. I know the differences, read my earlier post of today that has a copy of the thread I posted in Jan 2008 where I described what I have.

I have posed a question that seems to be overlooked. Has anyone seen a 660 with a 5 digit serial#?

Thanks
Dick
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Yes sorry. I have seen 660s with 5 digit serial numbers I own a few. I have a NIB 308 that is just over with 100007 I believe.

Billy Smith
rmwright1

Post by rmwright1 »

Remington600: Thanks for the response. Do you mean you own a few with 5 digits, or seen a few with 5 digits. If you own them, what is your highest 5 digit on a 660? I am not trying to be a harda-- here, only trying to document the existence of 660 with a 5 digit serial #. I have been trying to solve this mystery since I bought it.

Thanks
Dick
Dick
350magman

Post by 350magman »

rmwright1: The Model 660 serial numbers are a confusing mess! Since the Model 600 serial numbers ended in the 90,000 range or so, it makes some sense that Remington may have continued with the sequence for a while. However, at some point in time they adopted a seven number serial range for the 660s. I once owned a 660 in .350 caliber that had the serial # 6250000. I own a 660 now in .308 that is 631XXXX. A theory I have come up with is Remington changed their serial numbering system after the Gun Control Act of 1968 was passed. The new law mandated that ALL firearms bear a serial number. Before that time various shotguns and lower priced firearms were not serial numbered by the manufacturers. I can only surmise that the powers in charge at Remington decided to come up with a new system because of the new law? The time frame would be about right for this, shortly after introduction of the 660 model in 1968. Now, I am sure that a certain 'expert' on this site will attempt to throw cold water on this theory, but I have come to the conclusion that most of what he spouts is nothing more than 'guess work' and not solid fact!
remington600

Post by remington600 »

remington600

Post by remington600 »

Some people think that Remington has a file for every make and model that holds the answer to every question and mystery one may have. I could see where one might think that when them and the gun they are buying is put under the spotlight to find out every detail at time of purchase.. There are no files at Remington that says this rifle with the serial number XXXX left the factory with this barrel leingth, and this stock with these sights, and was sold to Joes gun shop in Erie PA. on this date. There are only boxes and boxes filled full of very small puzzle pieces. BUT sometimes you can find and put enough puzzle pieces together to make a very educated theory or what one may say a "guess". The people that title that are ussually the people that are not happy with the educated theory. A lot of the files and history have been destoyed from poor storage or tossed because of lack of storage. The majority of the files that do remain are from the 50s, 60, and 70s... But like I said they are small puzzle pieces. Everyone that give there answers or guesses or opinions all add to the puzzle, and just may make the educated theory that much more solid. It also may shed some light on a new direction of thinking. No one here is an expert and there is always room to learn more. "THAT" is what a forum is for. Listen to the answers you get. Take them into consideration because you never know the people answering them just may have the knowledge and documentation to back it up.
rmwright1

Post by rmwright1 »

To All: Thanks for the response on the 5 digits serial number issue. I will try to post a picture this week sometime.

Dick