Remington Model 4 short/long serial # 320546 needs a home!

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
skycruise

Remington Model 4 short/long serial # 320546 needs a home!

Post by skycruise »

Greetings from South Africa.

I have a friend who is in a quandary. He inherited a Remington Model #4 .22 short/long serial #320546 some time ago. All he knows about the rifle is that "it's over 100 years old". As an antique, there was no need to license the rifle and is merely a heirloom.

Sadly, this rifle is destined for the crushers. Recent gun law changes in South Africa dictate that all unlicensed guns, even antiques, must be handed over to the authorities by no later than March 31, 2005. The alternative is to license the rifle which entails jumping through a myriad of loops, least of all at substantial financial strain. He has no option but to dispose of it.

Hence, Clive has decided to find a good home for this Remington. First option was to return it to Remington but response from the company was zero. Not even any help as to the year of manufacture etc.

Perhaps someone in this forum can help with further info and/or provide a good home for it outside of South Africa?

Does anyone know the date of manufacture for serial #320546 and the approximate value of this Model 4?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Herby :cry:
DavidFagan

Re: Remington Model 4 short/long serial # 320546 needs a hom

Post by DavidFagan »

skycruise wrote:Greetings from South Africa.

I have a friend who is in a quandary. He inherited a Remington Model #4 .22 short/long serial #320546 some time ago. All he knows about the rifle is that "it's over 100 years old". As an antique, there was no need to license the rifle and is merely a heirloom.

Sadly, this rifle is destined for the crushers. Recent gun law changes in South Africa dictate that all unlicensed guns, even antiques, must be handed over to the authorities by no later than March 31, 2005. The alternative is to license the rifle which entails jumping through a myriad of loops, least of all at substantial financial strain. He has no option but to dispose of it.

Hence, Clive has decided to find a good home for this Remington. First option was to return it to Remington but response from the company was zero. Not even any help as to the year of manufacture etc.

Perhaps someone in this forum can help with further info and/or provide a good home for it outside of South Africa?

Does anyone know the date of manufacture for serial #320546 and the approximate value of this Model 4?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Herby :cry:
Value is extremely dependent on condition, if it's not in excellent condition it's probably
quite low, the shipping costs may even exceed it's value.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
skycruise

Condition good

Post by skycruise »

Thanks for the response David.

Condition is indeed excellent and has been stored in the ORIGINAL leather case. Obviously the rifle will be passed on to the new owner with case and all.

Any ideas of the value in US dollars?

Cheers,

Herby
DavidFagan

Re: Condition good

Post by DavidFagan »

skycruise wrote:Thanks for the response David.

Condition is indeed excellent and has been stored in the ORIGINAL leather case. Obviously the rifle will be passed on to the new owner with case and all.

Any ideas of the value in US dollars?

Cheers,

Herby
I cannot speak to for the value of the leather case I suspect if it actually has Remington
on it that alone might be valueable, however depending on how close excellent comes
to like new 4-5 hundred but do some googling.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
BOB.DECK@PGN.COM

REMINGTON MDL 4

Post by BOB.DECK@PGN.COM »

SKYCRUISE. THAT RIFLE PROBABLY SOLD NEW IN THEN 1920'S. THEY WERE FIRST MADE IN 1899 AND SOLD THRU 1933. GOOD SHAPE/W CASE SHOULD BE AROUND 350-450 US
remingtongeo

Post by remingtongeo »

I gave $550.00 U.S. for a Model 4 in mint condition with the case. It is close to the same number range, but I haven't done a search for the date yet. I think the 20's would be close.

I don't even know how you would begin to send this rifle from South Africa to the U.S.

It's a shame that such fine firearms are looked at as being the evil :twisted: cause of violence. How can people be so pissed at machines? :? Shouldn't the same people be mad at cars? They kill more people than guns.

Think of all those double rifles that will go to the scrap heap. :(

George