Model 660 Non-Magnum Laminated Stocks?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
350magman

Model 660 Non-Magnum Laminated Stocks?

Post by 350magman »

I have been a fan of the Model 600 & 660 series carbines since they were introduced by Remington in the '60s. As you know, the magnum(6.5 & .350) versions of these guns came equipped with unique factory laminated stocks. In fact, they were the first factory production guns ever offered with laminated stocks. I have always considered them very attractive. Anyway, a few years ago, I began to notice a few model 660s offered for sale that had this laminated stock, but were not in the magnum calibers. As I recall, every one I have seen is a .308, and in fact, I have recently acquired such a rifle in mint condition. These rifles differ from the magnum versions in that they do not have a recoil pad and are not fitted with sling studs. I have original Remington catalogs from the years 1968 thru 1971, when the model 660 was produced, and they do not mention the model being offered with a laminated stock except in the magnum calibers. It is my guess that Remington put out these non-magnum 660s with these stocks only to use up inventory when they discontinued the model, but do any members have any hard information regarding these unusual guns?
remington600

Re: Model 660 Non-Magnum Laminated Stocks?

Post by remington600 »

Sporting dealer Western Hoege ordered a quanity of nonmagnum 660s with laminated stocks. They offered them in both 308s and 6mm. There are more 308s then 6mms, but the quanity of each is not in my records nor do I think really exist since they were probably just shipped as standard run rifles.
350magman

Post by 350magman »

Thats interesting. I have never heard of that dealer. Do you know where he was located? Was he a nationwide distributor? Thanks for the info.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

If I remember correctly they were located in Glendale California. My knowledge is on the 600s and 660s and not on the distributor so I don't know much about them personally. I know they were bought out by a company called Maurice.
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

When Remington had an distribution office in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada a friend of mine went down and swapped a standard stock from a 600 in 222 for a laminated stock. Just another avenue to consider.
350magman

Post by 350magman »

600RemGuy: That isn't the case here, as these non-magnum versions have stocks with no recoil pads(which all the magnums had), and they do not have sling studs(also on the magnum models). They were definately made up specially by Remington, but thats not to say that there aren't some floating around which have been switched over by previous owners.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Well the 600s are a differant story. At end of production I know that they tried to get rid of inventory. I have a 600 in the 35 remington with a laminated stock and a butt plate. I also have a 350 magnum without a laminated stock and a recoil pad, and yes its factory installed. I guess anybody can buy anything, but no matter if made by Remington and installed later its not right. I cant answer that in all situation that it did not happen to the 660s, but I do know that remington did make a quanity of laminated stock standards for Western Hoegee. I wish I had a quanity, but I dont. 350 what is your serial number. The easiest one for me to check was my 6mm. Its 105xxx. At least we could tell if they were in the same area.
350magman

Post by 350magman »

remington600: You bring up another point regarding the 660s that has baffled me. Thats the matter of serial numbers. Somewhere along the way, Remington made a dramatic change in the serializing of this model. Many of the 660s have six-digit numbers such as yours,and others have seven-digit numbers? My 660 in .350 has number 62503XX. Many years ago I owned another 660 .350 with number 62500XX. Any insight on this?
350magman

Post by 350magman »

Update: Checked out the barrel date code on my 660 in .308 with factory laminated stock, and determined it was made in June 1971. Since this was right at the tail end of production of the model 660, I think it kind of confirms my belief that Remington was using up a supply of the 'magnum' stocks by adapting them to standard caliber guns to move them out. The serial number on my gun is 6317xxx. I would be interested in hearing from any other members that own similar 660s and noting serial number range. It might be possible to nail down the approximate production run of these non-magnum 660s.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

I still have to think your 660 was made for Western Hoegee. In 1971 there were 3037 660s made in the 308< and in 1972 there were 192 of them made. I think if yours was possibly made in 1972, and one of the last 50 then maybe. I dont think that they would of had such a high quanity of left over laminated stocks in 1971 to think about weening them out. The only other logical thing it could have a small possibility of is an employee sale. Are there any more numbers stamped around the date code area.
350magman

Post by 350magman »

On the left side of barrel just in front of receiver is the number 96. What you say is probably true, it just seems strange that they seem to have come so near to the end of production. Perhaps Remington over-estimated the popularity of the 'magnum' model 660s, as they sold only a fraction as many as they did the model 600 magnums. I don't know if Remington made these stocks themselves, in -house, or contracted them out?
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Remington made the stocks. I think after the 600s they knew not to have a large inventory. Since it was a special order item I bet they made the stocks to fill the order. Narrow minded people that remembered the 600 I think killed the 660. They were guns and magnum calibers that were WAY AHEAD OF THERE TIME. Look at all the short magnums out there now. The 350 and the 6.5 are the first short magnums.
350magman

Post by 350magman »

You are absolutely right! The 660 and 660 were ahead of their time, and although pundits have said that the gun writers' criticisms at the time were responsible for the lack of sales, I don't think thats wholly true. Many writers praised these little guns. One I remember in particular was the Wyoming guide Les Bowman. Another was George Nonte. Both took the .350 carbine all over North America and knocked down all manner of the large bears and other beasts with it. I think it was the 600s modernistic look, in particular the vent. rib, that turned off traditional gun enthusiasts. At the time, I even was rather offended by the styling, although I did purchase one in .222 caliber and found it wonderfully accurate and shot many woodchucks with it. I always liked the laminated stock on the magnum models, and even today find it more attractive than the laminated styles being currently offered. Remington came close with the Model 673, but missed the boat with a gun that was neither 'fish nor fowl' , as far as I am concerned. The stock was o.k., but the barrel was too long and heavy, and the steel rib made things only worse. I made up what I believe Remington should have done, by taking a model 7 CDL .350(20" barrel) and dropping it into a model 673 stock! It fits perfectly, and makes a near perfect carry carbine.
rmwright1

Post by rmwright1 »

350magman re: 660 Serial numbers

Sometime ago (Jan 2008)I posted the following thread on this site:

"I recently picked up what appeared to be a Model 600 in .243 caliber. After I actually studied it I looked at the obvious - the model number stamped on the receiver, it was stamped 660. However, I was duped by the following facts: It had a 600 stock(no black tips or caps), vent rib, polished bolt. The bolt and receiver serial numbers matched (900XX). I have contacted Remington, and they are little help regarding historical information. I talked to two different people at two different times and got two different answers. One said they made a few 660's with vent ribs, polished bolts, and the serial numbers were of the same block, the other said that the 660 was never manufactured with a vent rib, etc. Does any one know with conviction if any 660's were made with a vent rib, etc, or of 600's being mis-stamped?
Thanks"

Please note the 5 digit serial #. Since this post I have a reply from Remington stating that there is possibility that at the end of the 600 run that they could have used parts from the 660. Is there anyone else out there with a five digit serial number on a 660? I think I have a 600 that was from the factory with a 660 receiver.

I'd be interested in some feed back. I can provide a picture to serious inquiries.

Thanks
Dick
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

rmwright1 wrote:350magman re: 660 Serial numbers

Sometime ago (Jan 2008)I posted the following thread on this site:

"I recently picked up what appeared to be a Model 600 in .243 caliber. After I actually studied it I looked at the obvious - the model number stamped on the receiver, it was stamped 660. However, I was duped by the following facts: It had a 600 stock(no black tips or caps), vent rib, polished bolt. The bolt and receiver serial numbers matched (900XX). I have contacted Remington, and they are little help regarding historical information. I talked to two different people at two different times and got two different answers. One said they made a few 660's with vent ribs, polished bolts, and the serial numbers were of the same block, the other said that the 660 was never manufactured with a vent rib, etc. Does any one know with conviction if any 660's were made with a vent rib, etc, or of 600's being mis-stamped?
Thanks"

Please note the 5 digit serial #. Since this post I have a reply from Remington stating that there is possibility that at the end of the 600 run that they could have used parts from the 660. Is there anyone else out there with a five digit serial number on a 660? I think I have a 600 that was from the factory with a 660 receiver.

I'd be interested in some feed back. I can provide a picture to serious inquiries.

Thanks
Dick
Did you check the barrel date codes? The 660s were "NEW" in the 1968 catalog.
It could also have been somebody's "project" gun. (re-barrel, restock...."whatever")

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/que ... arrelcodes

Den