550-1 Mounting a scope

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
DonHoneycuttJr

550-1 Mounting a scope

Post by DonHoneycuttJr »

Here is a second question on my Model 550-1 Semi Auto 22. I would like to mount a scope but my rifle does not have the grooved receiver to allow for mounting the rings. It appears that some of these rifles have the grooves and others with the same model number do not. Before I realised the problem, I bought a Nikon 4X32 Rimfire Classic scope that I hoped to mount to the 550-1.

I took it to a local gunsmith who said the metal on the receiver was not thick enough to drill and tap for a mount. In a different forum, another owner said he had his drilled and tapped just like I want for mine. Anyone out there with experience on this problem?

PS: If I have used any terms incorrectly, forgive me and feel free to correct me, I am new to this and am not yet fluent in gun.
rsv1rem

Re: 550-1 Mounting a scope

Post by rsv1rem »

DonHoneycuttJr wrote:Here is a second question on my Model 550-1 Semi Auto 22. I would like to mount a scope but my rifle does not have the grooved receiver to allow for mounting the rings. It appears that some of these rifles have the grooves and others with the same model number do not. Before I realised the problem, I bought a Nikon 4X32 Rimfire Classic scope that I hoped to mount to the 550-1.

I took it to a local gunsmith who said the metal on the receiver was not thick enough to drill and tap for a mount. In a different forum, another owner said he had his drilled and tapped just like I want for mine. Anyone out there with experience on this problem?

PS: If I have used any terms incorrectly, forgive me and feel free to correct me, I am new to this and am not yet fluent in gun.

Find another gunsmith, tens of thousands of model 550/550-1's have been drilled and tapped for a scope, even the factory did it if requested. Weaver makes side mounts that fit these quite well, look for a Weaver N3.

As to your other question, if you haven't figured it out already. Sounds like the threads may be stripped on the plug. Just loosen the screw on the receiver plug retainer (little "door" on the back of the receiver), and then unscrew the plug all the way, if it's already stripped your not going to harm it.

When re installing it's important to align the threads correctly.