Anybody know anything about A.E. Whitmore Maker shotgun?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
1894trapgun

Anybody know anything about A.E. Whitmore Maker shotgun?

Post by 1894trapgun »

My dad just acquired an early 1890 AE whitmore maker hammerless shotgun from boston mass. anybody know anything?
1894trapgun
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Re: Anybody know anything about A.E. Whitmore Maker shotgun?

Post by Jay Huber »

As far as I know Whitmore never made any shotguns. Remington made a shotgun under Whitmores Patents. Refer to some of the books offered this site to find story of Remington Gun. Please ask specific questions, WE DON'T HAVE TIME TO WRIE YOU A DISERTAION ON THE HISTORY OF THE Remington GUN IF YOU HAVE ONE. jAY HUBER RSA
1894trapgun

Post by 1894trapgun »

Hey Jay, i didn't ask for a dissertation. I asked a simple question that obviously you did not understand or have an answer for. Reread the question and you will see it had nothing to do with Remington Shotguns. Your response was all that was needed, not some condescending remark implying that your time is more important than ours. Don't get upset by your ignorance of who Andrew E. Whitmore was and what he did long after he left Remington. I was inquiring of the many Remington collectors, like myself that at least have heard of whitmore. There are pics on doublegunshop.com of this gun HE MADE in Boston, Mass. We believe it to be the only one in existence. I am just trying to gather as much info as possible. Try being kind and helpful and less self important. Thanks
1894trapgun
remington600

Post by remington600 »

With all due respect. WHY are you asking a non Remington question on a Remington forum. You asked a very open question that could contain a very long answere. It sounds like the best place to get the info you seek would be the website that you saw pictures of it on. If its believe that its the only one in existence you can not expect too much info. It sounds like it maybe pieced together so you maybe right.
ohiosam

Post by ohiosam »

Tough crowd :shock:

Since Whitmore did design guns for Remington I can understand why someone might think Remington collectors might have some insight in to other work he did. Doesn't seem so unreasonable to ask.
1894trapgun

Post by 1894trapgun »

remington600. The reason I would ask any question on any forum would be to gather any possible info and the subject of the question. Remington used many of whitmore's patents, and it only makes sense to 1) inquire of the many remington Collectors who are familiar with whitmore, and 2) search every possibly knowledgeable place on the web for info. That is why I would ask a "non-remington question" on a remington forum. Without A. E. Whitmore, there might not be a remington double gun to collect. The question was very simple, and maybe you should reread it. Either you know something or you don't.The pictures on the other website are pictures I took, and posted to try to gather info. As far as being peiced together, I have a copy of the patent for this gun, and anyone who sees this gun will see that it is an American Best Gun.To be quite honest, I am shocked at the lack of depth and understanding in all but one reply to the original question. Thanks ohiosam.
1894trapgun
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

1894trapgun,, You said your gun is a hammerless I have copies of the A. E. Whitmore patents I have not seen any for hammerless guns all are for a hammer gun first patent Aug.1871 another April 1872.