A case for my Remington - semi OT

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
SharpsShtr

A case for my Remington - semi OT

Post by SharpsShtr »

Gents,

This may be a little Off Topic, but here's the question. I have a Remington Transformation military rifle - 3 bands and approximately 55" long. I'm trying to find a hard case to transport it in, without success. The longest ones I've seen stop at 52 inches. Anyone know where to find a case this long? Thanks,

Matt
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is
strong enough to take everything you have - Thomas Jefferson

It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.
In this life we get nothing save by effort - Theodore Roosevelt
Dick Hosmer

Re: A case for my Remington - semi OT

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Matt,
I have had similar situations with my musket-length Springfields, and have never found a longer case either. But, you have a choice that I do not. If this is going to be a one-time, or infrequent, occurance, had you considered removing the buttstock? Unless it is a pristine specimen with untouched screws, that might be the answer.
SharpsShtr

Post by SharpsShtr »

Dick,

My is definitely not pristine, it has that beat-up "Been There, Done That" patina. I was wanting to find something to transport it and some other almost as long rifles to & from the range. The other option I had been considering, but was hoping to avoid, was to build a wooden case similar to what they were shipped in. It would be smaller (2 to 3 rifles) and with a bunch of padding/support. Looks like I may have to fall back to that option. Thanks,

Matt

marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Well my answer is not a simple buy it here, but I did solve the same problem once. After never finding a decent hard case long enough for some of my really long rifles, I decided to modify a case. I purchased two inexpemsive Doskicil cases and cut one end off of each. I then took some sheet aluminum and spliced them together at a length long enough to hold anything. One case got just the last few inches cut off, while the other got about 1/3 cut off.
I riveted the aluminum inside the case, and then reinstalled the foam rubber over the sheet metal to keep my guns from the metal. When I finished I decided the short case could be used also for handguns, so I riveted the short piece back on the shorter case, and saved it for that use.
Worked great, and is still working today. I think the cases were about $13 ea., so it was a pretty cheap fix.
SharpsShtr

Post by SharpsShtr »

Marlinman,

That's a great idea. I've been looking for a reason to head to Cabela's, now I think I have a good one. Thanks,

Matt