Model 17 questions

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Viejo Loco

Model 17 questions

Post by Viejo Loco »

Some 60 years ago, my grandfather gave me his Model 17 20-ga pump shotgun with 2 barrels (24" and 28"). The gun is S/N 32xx (front bottom of receiver; BO above the number). Both barrels have the REP stamp on one side. The 28" is stamped on the other side with the serial number, "FULL", and an odd arrow-like symbol (see pic), but no date code. The other side of the 24" barrel is stamped CYL in large letters; below that, some odd symbol (see pic) followed by a double-stamped smudged "MOD"; and below that, upside down, the code WP2, which I assume is the date code for Aug 1923. Both barrels are prominently labelled "Model 17", "The Remington Arms Union Metallic Cartridge Co, Inc", and "Remington Ilion Works, Ilion, NY, USA Browning Patent June 15 1915". There is a Jostam after-market butt pad, which apparently was added in the 1930s-40s. Now, my questions:
- Agree with mfr date of Aug 1923?
- The 28" has the serial number; the 24" has the date code. Should I infer from this that the gun was sold new with the 2 barrels?
- I'm assuming the "full" and "cyl mod" stamps are choke indications, agree?
- What is the arrow-like symbol?
- The Jostam butt pad is deteriorating. It doesn't look like the original butt cover is present; I assume it was removed to attach the Jostam. Suggestions?
Thanks!
Viejo Loco
PS: getting an error message "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached" when trying to attach the photos. Help?