Stupid Question

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
dieNusse1

Stupid Question

Post by dieNusse1 »

I've heard that the only stupid question is the one not asked so here goes.

There is limited loading data for sabots and slugs in general. Assuming that either a rifled or smooth bore deer barrel is used is there any reason to believe there is any difference in pressures developed whether equal weight lead charges are in pellet or solid form?
Virginian

Re: Stupid Question

Post by Virginian »

If the total weight of the ejecta is the same I would assume the same loading data could be used, and I have done so. Remember to weigh everything; wad(s), shot cup, projectile or shot, and sabot .
What could have happened... did.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

I agree.

Which of course raises a second question. Formulae found in loading tables call for a given weight of shot. The question is that since most loaders measure by volume how much difference in weight, if any, is there between a volume of #8 shot verus an equal volume of #4? I assume that #8 would pack better than #4 or #2 and would therefore weigh more. All I have on hand is #6 & #7 1/2 some cannot really test this. Comments?
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

What you have said is obviously true regarding weight of shot. When I was doing some serious reloading for waterfowl I made some custom shot dippers out of old AA hulls for all the larger stuff. All the factory bushings seem to be even a little light for #8 shot, and the difference when loading 1-7/8 ounces of plated #2s for example was considerable. I used to use a powder measure too. I got a very early cannister of Blue Dot powder that had loading data on the can. I have never seen loads that stout before or since. Every new loading guide has lesser maximum loads. I called Hercules on the phone and finally talked with an engineer. He couldn't / wouldn't tell me exactly what I wanted to know, but he did say the formula for the powder was totally UNchanged since day one. I still have that empty can.
What could have happened... did.