Date code on Remington shot shell boxes?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Jack71

Date code on Remington shot shell boxes?

Post by Jack71 »

Can anyone help me decipher the code on old (1930s to 1960s) Remington shot shell boxes? I have some red and green boxes which I have heard Remington started using just before World War II.

On the top flap there is a code such as C NT R23TS16. This particular box contains 20 gauge paper Shur Shot #8 loads with a fold crimp. The bottom flap is marked 8-47, I'd like to think this means they were made in August 1947, but I doubt if it is that easy. Some other boxes that appear to be of similar vintage don't have anything like this on the bottom flap.

I would appreciate any help in determining the age of these old shells.
Researcher

Re: Date code on Remington shot shell boxes?

Post by Researcher »

I have a box of 28-gauge 2 7/8 inch Remington Express loads with the "New Remington Crimp" with 1 R 1 and 12-47 on the bottom flap. For 1946, the Remington Express loads still had the roll-crimp. The "New Remington Crimp" was introduced on the Remington Express loads in the January 3, 1947, Remington Ammunition Catalog. Through the November 3, 1948, Remington Ammunition Catalog the 28-gauge Remington Express load is still in a 2 7/8 inch case. By the 1949 Remington Ammunition Catalog the 28-gauge Remington Express load is in a 2 3/4 inch case. All this to conclude that the 12-47 fits as a date for my 28-gauge shells. But, is that the date the shells were loaded or the date the box was printed?

I have a box of 12-gauge Remington Express Loads that still have the roll-crimp, and all that is on the bottom flat is 1 R 1. I have a box of Remington Shur-Shot 20-gauge 2 1/2 inch shells with 2-44 on the bottom flap and someone wrote on the box "bought 11-8-44." I've got two boxes of Shur-Shot 16-gauge shells, one 2 9/16 inch roll-crimp and one Skeet Loads 2 3/4 inch "New Remington Crimp" and neither have anything resembling a date on the bottom flap.
Jack71

Re: Date code on Remington shot shell boxes?

Post by Jack71 »

Thanks, Researcher. What you say seems to match what I see on my Remington boxes. The only one I've noticed with a date is the Shur Shot 20ga I mentioned above (8-47), it is also marked 1 R 1 on the bottom flap. Evidently the "New Remington Crimp" was introduced around 1947.

I would think your box of 20 gauge shells from 1944 are somewhat rare. Sporting ammo was hard to get during World War II.