Remington model 11R

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Ghostrider

Remington model 11R

Post by Ghostrider »

Hoping to gain some knowledge on a gun I recently picked up. S/N 18700x.
I have read through the forum and I believe it shows this gun would have been made in 1915 is this correct?
Also this gun does not reflect any military stamps that I can fnd. I am assuming that this was a police or Guard gun although again no markings. The only markings I see is the 20” barrel is marhed CYL. AND. EV3
Is there any recommended articles on the 11-R shotguns. I have found very little information on the web. Any information is appreciate.
Researcher

Re: Remington model 11R

Post by Researcher »

The serial number chronology I have would make it early 1916. The EV3 is a repair code E = October V = 1927. Is the barrel serial numbered to the receiver? What is the company name on the barrel?
Ghostrider

Post by Ghostrider »

I was told all SN match. I will check and confirm Monday. The name on the barrel is Remington arms Metalic cartridge company.
Ghostrider

Post by Ghostrider »

Ok the serial Numbers match???

Its a civialian gun, no police or other markings. I would say the gun is 70%+ condition. What is a fair ballpark value. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

In the pawn shops around here a 12-gauge Model 11 with a 28- or 30-inch field barrel in 70% condition would be in the $175 to $200. Whether the 20-inch cylinder bore Riot barrel adds or detracts from that I have no idea.
Ghostrider

Post by Ghostrider »

Thanks for the feedback. Too many questions and concerns with the configuration. I dcided to pass and put my money towards Something else.
Fowlgunner

Post by Fowlgunner »

Is the barrel stamped 11-R?

Actually of all the early Remington Autoloading Shotgun and Model 11 grades, the R or No.0 shows up the least in any kind of condition at all.

I assume that most were sold to be used daily and therefore not many made it into hibernation.

Will
Ghostrider

Post by Ghostrider »

I based my decision on from what I have read reciever made 1916. Repair code on barrel 1927, i read that the 11R did not come out until 1921. Very nice gun though at $500 I was not willing to take a chance.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

You seem to have read bad information. In the 1905-06 Remington Arms Co. catalog, that introduces the John M. Browning designed Remington Autoloading Shotgun, it was offered in seven grades -- the No. 1 "Standard" Grade, No. 2 "Special" Grade, No. 3 "Trap" Grade, No. 4 "Tournament" Grade, No. 5 "Expert" Grade, No. 6 "Premier" Grade and the No. 0 "Riot" Grade. In 1911, Marcellus Hartley Dodge combined his arms and ammunition companies as Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co. In the first Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co. catalog, dated 1911-12, they began calling the gun the Model No. 11, but the grades were still called No. 0 to No. 6. By the 1913-14 Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co. catalog the grades were given as the No. 11A "Standard" Grade, No. 11B "Special" Grade, No. 11C "Trap" Grade, No. 11D "Tournament" Grade, No. 11E "Expert" Grade, No. 11F "Premier" Grade and the No. 11R "Riot" Grade. Those remained the grades offered through the May 1948 Remington Arms Co., Inc. catalog.

A bit more history. During 1916 in order to expand capabilities for war production the company incorporated and became Remington Arms - Union metallic Cartridge Co., Inc. After The Great War, governments all cancelled their orders and the company was stuck with a lot of debt and excess capacity. They spun off a lot of this and formed a new corporation Remington Arms Co., Inc. on May 24, 1920, and on August 11, 1920, Remington Arms - Union metallic Cartridge Co., Inc. was dissolved. In 1934, DuPont gained controlling interest in Remington Arms Co., Inc.
Last edited by Researcher on Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghostrider

Post by Ghostrider »

Thank you for the clarification. I had read somewhere on the internet that the barrels were not marked 11-R until 1921. That appears not to be correct. Thank you for this addition information.