model 10 help

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
paul harm

model 10 help

Post by paul harm »

When trying to rack a shell in the flat spring in the top of the receiver pushes the shell down so it doesn't a line with the barrel and the shell won't go in. If I push on the front of the shell it goes in. The spring is sticking down more than I would think is necessary. Did it get bent ? Any help ? What is the purpose of the spring ? Thanks in advance. Paul
paul harm

Re: model 10 help

Post by paul harm »

Well, my gun does work, kind of. It won't always insert the shell in the chamber if I try to go too fast. And once in awhile it wants to drop both the fired shell and the new one on the ground. But it does work. That ejector spring, or what ever it's called that is in the top of the receiver just doesn't look right sticking down so far. I know some guys really like the model 10, but man, there's a whole lot of moving parts in one. For pumps I'll stick to the 870.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry you didn't get help, I have to agree with you on the 870.
Someone could hand you a 870 is pieces and you can just put it together without instructions, you can't do that to (well a 10) or even a new Mossberg 500.
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

I friend has a model10 and his doesn't have the " top spring " [as I'm calling it]. His gun seems to work without it. So, does anyone know the purpose for it ? It wouldn't have been put in there if it wasn't needed. Must be someone here who knows a bit more about model 10's.
Fowlgunner

Post by Fowlgunner »

Sorry Paul,

I missed your post and am just getting to it.

The top spring is the ejector and you need it.

It is very commonly bent when someone who doesn't know it is there runs a cleaning rod in from the muzzle and the patch or brush hangs the end.

You'll need to disassemble the gun and take a punch and drive the spring out through the breach. Reshape it and drive it back into place. Very simple repair.

I have had two just like this and would have had your answer from your first post, but just didn't see it until you expounded on it.

You can email me at wkgurt (AT) charter (DOT) net if you have an other concerns and I can send you a picture of the proper curvature.

Good Luck, Will
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

Will, thanks, sent a email. I knew someone could help. Paul