870 safety ?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
paul harm

870 safety ?

Post by paul harm »

I bought a used wingmaster that has a left hand safety. I pulled the trigger assembly out but didn't see what had to be done to change it to a right hand safety. Any suggestions ? Thanks - Paul
admin
Site Admin

Re: 870 safety ?

Post by admin »

Do you have mill, I wouldn't try without one.
Look for a used trigger plate, it's not a pop-out / reverse operation....
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

Thanks, I'll look around for another trigger. My friend, a gunsmith will maybe getting a visit.
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

You do not need a replacement trigger or assembly. All you need is a standard 870 safety. A gunsmith may have one, and should be able to swap it out in 10 minutes.
What could have happened... did.
Synchronizor

Post by Synchronizor »

There are a couple ways to get a left-handed safety button on an 870. The easiest way is a simple drop-in left-hand safety button. If that's what your gun has, then all you need is a replacement right-hand switch, as Virginian said.

But if you have a right-hand eject, left-hand-safety trigger plate, or a standard trigger plate that's been custom-modified for a left-handed safety, then you may need a replacement trigger plate as Admin said.
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

If it is right hand eject and has a left handed safety, it is a standard trigger assembly. If it is a left handed eject model, it is the same standard trigger assembly EXCEPT for the carrier. In either case a right handed safety will switch it over.
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

It is a right hand eject left hand safety. Are some of you saying the safety will push out and a right hand one will push back in ?
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

Well, you need to remove the safety spring retaining pin, safety spring, and safety detent first, but yes - one slides out and the other slides right in.
I think you might want to go to www.remington.com and download a FREE owner's manual. Has all the parts and a schematic in it.
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

I have the owners manual - going to the Remington web site I couldn't find a way to get owners manuals. Probably my poor computer skills. Anyways, after taking the trigger group out of the gun I didn't see how to remove the items necessary to remove the safety plunger itself. Is a mill necessary ? Thanks for any help. Paul
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

paul harm wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:49 am I have the owners manual - going to the Remington web site I couldn't find a way to get owners manuals. Probably my poor computer skills. Anyways, after taking the trigger group out of the gun I didn't see how to remove the items necessary to remove the safety plunger itself. Is a mill necessary ? Thanks for any help. Paul

https://www.remingtonsociety.org/images ... manual.pdf
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

You do not need a mill for anything. If, repeat if, you remove the retaining pin, watch out you don't let the spring go flying.
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

Thank you, I'll look at it later tonight. Paul