20 ga. Model 31 L questions

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Grandpa Shooter

20 ga. Model 31 L questions

Post by Grandpa Shooter »

New guy here. Without getting to long winded I have recently started shooting my Grandfather's 31 L. It has been in retirement for about four decades. With the help of YouTube I was able to give it a thorough cleaning. Now I would like fit it with a recoil pad, my question is, is the slightly crescent shape butt plate with appropriately a fourteen inch LOP how it came new? The other issue I have is the front site or where on once resided has a hole completely through the barrel. What was the issue site, was it threaded or pressed in and what "color " ? Any information you might be able to provide would be most appreciated. Gramps actually work for Remington in Illion during the war before coming out west.
Regards,
GS
admin
Site Admin

Re: 20 ga. Model 31 L questions

Post by admin »

Shotguns I don't know much about but the slightly crescent butt plate on a straight backed stock is correct.
Grandpa Shooter

Thanks, I thought it was original but short LOP made me wonder.
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

14" LOP has been about standard on an American field shotgun for ages. Can you see threads in the hole where the sight was ? I believe they were threaded in and were silver. If you get the thread size, Midway and Brownells both have a selection.
What could have happened... did.
Grandpa Shooter

The hole where the front used to reside does not appear to be threaded. I don't believe it will terribly hard to thread / tap the hole, getting the sight base flush with the interior surface of the barrel may be somewhat more so. Thanks for the tip, I'll look into Brownells.
GS