LH 870 Barrel

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
AK870

LH 870 Barrel

Post by AK870 »

Hello from Alaska. Just found this site and can already tell I will spend some time here. While I have just started looking through older posts, I am tossing one out to be reviewed by moderators and maybe get a quick answer to a question.

Has there ever been a left handed, rifle sighted, cylinder bore ( or other "standard" smooth bore ) slug barrel made for the 870? I know that currently they only offer the 28 inch ribbed barrel with Rem-chokes.

If anyone has information I would be most appreciative. Thanks in advance.

Martin Farris
Anchorage, AK
Wulfman

Re: LH 870 Barrel

Post by Wulfman »

AK870 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:29 am Hello from Alaska. Just found this site and can already tell I will spend some time here. While I have just started looking through older posts, I am tossing one out to be reviewed by moderators and maybe get a quick answer to a question.

Has there ever been a left handed, rifle sighted, cylinder bore ( or other "standard" smooth bore ) slug barrel made for the 870? I know that currently they only offer the 28 inch ribbed barrel with Rem-chokes.

If anyone has information I would be most appreciative. Thanks in advance.

Martin Farris
Anchorage, AK
Martin,

This is from:
"A Guide to Collecting Remington Model 870 Shotguns"
By Roy Marcot

Remington produced 4,000 limited edition, 12 gauge, 3" magnum "Ducks Unlimited Commemorative" Model 870 Mississippi Magnum shotguns. These had a special receiver decoration and 32-inch, full-choke barrels. Remington also introduced a left-hand 12 gauge Model 870 Deer Gun.

My link to the article doesn't seem to work anymore (it was in the "Journals" section when I copied it some years back) so I'm copying this from the .pdf file I saved. Hope that answers your question.

Edit to add:
Looked a little harder and found a link:

http://www.remingtonsociety.org/a-guide ... -shotguns/

Den

Virginian

Post by Virginian »

In 1983 Remington cataloged a LH 870 with a 20" rifle sighted barrel. Model 5027. They also offered and extra barrel, LH, 20" rifle sights, Part # 6545. It was continued thru 1985.
What could have happened... did.
AK870

Post by AK870 »

Many thanks for the information. Now to track one down...

Cheers,

Martin
Synchronizor

Post by Synchronizor »

If you can't find one of those slug barrels, another option would be to shorten a different LH barrel and install rifle sights on it. There are a number of ways to put rifle sights on a plain or vent-rib barrel, ranging from easy clip-on or stick-on installs, to professional soldering.