Model 1900 question...

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Flatwater

Model 1900 question...

Post by Flatwater »

Good evening! I have a quick question about my 1900. I'm familiar with the barrel codes (K, E, D, etc,) but what about "///KG3"?

Does it simply mean a plain K grade?

The gun is s/night 320711, all numbers match.

I'm not smart enough to attach photos... :roll:

Thank you!
dieNusse1

Re: Model 1900 question...

Post by dieNusse1 »

No one knows what many of the barrel markings mean. From the info you provided the ///KG3 should mean that you have a Model 1900 K grade which has Remington steel barrels and extractors. There is some thought that /// refers to degree of choke but with the pellet counts stamped on the lugs this seems unnecessary. Remington was fairly consistent stamping some form of the K's, E's & D's on the barrels but the other letters and symbols are a mystery. For more details you may want to consult Semmer's book Remington Double Shotguns.

BTW - your gun left the factory in early to mid 1902.
Flatwater

Post by Flatwater »

Thank you for the response! You are correct, it is an extractor model, steel barrels. The "3" was throwing me for a loop.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

I thought your S/N looked like it might be close to one I own (320187). A bit farther than I thought but it bears barrel stampings of (star)KG3. Close but no cigar.

Couple more details -- the lugs on the 32" barrels are stamped 46 & 55 indicating imp. modified for both.

Maybe /// & (star) denote barrel length??????? What length are your barrels? Lug stampings?
Flatwater

Post by Flatwater »

It is stamped 50 and 43. The barrels are 30".
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

Aha -- Imp. Mod. as well. Seems many of the 1900s were sent out this way.
Flatwater

Post by Flatwater »

I love the old girl! Being a short chambered gun, I've always shot PolyWad Vintager shells thru it. It's a wee bit short on the stock (I'm 6'5" and have long ape arms... lol!), so I'm going to find a repo or used buttplate to thin down as a "spacer" then affix a pad to lengthen it just a bit.

The gun belonged to my great-Grandpa and was given to me by my Grandpa years ago. My boys will be ready to use it anytime now.

Thanks again for all of your input!
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

A bit about chamber length. Maybe Researcher can add his input.

A theory that may have been held at the time by Parker and Fox was to utilize a chamber length of 2 5/8" which would provide a better gas seal in the forcing cone when the crimp from a 2 3/4" case unrolled which, in turn, would result in better patterns. There is no evidence I know of that Remington held this view.

In any event - I along with others use 2 3/4" cases while keeping pressure at or below 5000 psi or so. On the other hand some have reamed the chambers to 2 3/4".