English stocked model 11

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
mjmhunter

English stocked model 11

Post by mjmhunter »

Hello all new to this site, I was wondering if anyone here could tell me anything about this gun. I've never seen one with a stock like this. Old catalogs I've found online looks like a trap model 11 c No markings that say it's a model 11 serial number 122xxx This is my first model 11 to start my collection

Thank you

Fowlgunner

Re: English stocked model 11

Post by Fowlgunner »

mjmhunter,

The serial number puts the guns production in 1912, according to Jim Tipton's research.

In the 1911-1912 Catalogue the gun is referred to as the Model No. 11 No. 3 "Trap Grade".

The "C" designation didn't come until a year or two later.

Like I pointed out on ShotgunWorld it appears the forearm has been replaced with a later style. I cannot tell for sure due to the picture angle but I believe the forearm to have a small checkered diamond connected to both larger half diamonds on each side is this correct?

I know you are aware that the ventilated recoil pad did not come along until much later. Again I cannot tell if the Buttstock has been cut off or if it is full length, 14.25 inches LOP standard on the Trap Grade, and the pad simply added.

If the later is the case you can find original and reproduction buttplates that will get you gun closer to the way that it probably left Ilion.

The Buttplate in use at the time of production would be the Circle Rem UMC bakelite plate.

You should also check the barrel to make sure the serial number on the ramp of the magazine ring matches that on the receiver.

They are fine shooting guns, but please have a competent gunsmith check out the springs and locking block prior to usage.

Unlike the later Model 11's the earliest one did not have the fibre recoil buffer so also have him check for wear in the rear of the receiver.

Good luck in your new hobby,

Will