870 Sight Bead

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
The Rattler

870 Sight Bead

Post by The Rattler »

I own a 1966 Wingmaster that for which I refurbished the wood. Now, I plan to Durablue the metal.

I need to remove the front sight bead, but it is proving to be difficult. I have been unable to make it move wth a pair of needle nose pliars.

Does it in fact unscrew? I've seen a specialized tool for installing front sight beads. A Midway video suggests using heat from a hair dryer. Will that help on this old Wingmaster? Should I use a penetrating oil like Kroil? Will I likely damage the bead in the removal process? Is it practical to cover such a small item with masking tape, instead of removing it?

Before I go farther I would like the more experienced input from the members here.

Thanks.
Virginian

Re: 870 Sight Bead

Post by Virginian »

If it is pressed in there should be a mark on the blued area adjacent to the bead. It should be stainless or "nickel silver" and not take bluing in any event.
What could have happened... did.
The Rattler

Post by The Rattler »

That's valuable information, Virginian. Thanks.

Does anyone have ideas on the other questions?
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

The Rattler wrote:That's valuable information, Virginian. Thanks.

Does anyone have ideas on the other questions?
Based on Virginian's response/information, you should not have to remove the sight.......consequently, you have all of your questions answered.
Leave it in and everything will be just fine.

Den

The Rattler

Post by The Rattler »

You are most correct. I did not focus upon the last part of Virginian's reply. Please accept my apologies.

The coating I will useful is Durablue, a version of Duracoat, that is applied by spraying. I do not have hot bluing equipment and prefer not to use cold bluing. I will contact the manufacturer of Durablue and confirm that it will not adhere to the metal of the bead.

I very much appreciate these replies. Thanks for helping.