Model 31H "Hunters Special" Grade

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Researcher

Model 31H "Hunters Special" Grade

Post by Researcher »

I recently picked up a 12-gauge Model 31 of middle 1940s vintage (52215) that looks just like a solid ribbed Model 31 Skeet Gun, but it is choked IMP CYL. Measuring the choke it is .009" which is typical for Remington's improved cylinder of that time, and no flare profile of the SKEET choke. Serial numbers match on the barrel and receiver and no repair markings. Would this be a Model 31H "Hunters Special" Grade as listed in the post WW-II catalogues? Or, is it a Model 31 Skeet Gun that someone ordered choked IMP CYL? How could I tell?
tudurgs

Re: Model 31H "Hunters Special" Grade

Post by tudurgs »

How is the "Hunter Special" described in the catalog? Never heard of such a thing
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The Model 31H "Hunters' Special" Grade appears is the post WW-II Remington Arms Co., Inc. catalogues always along with the Model 31S "Trap Special" Grade --

and appears to be a field stocked version of the Model 31S. After looking at this closely I don't believe that my gun is anything but a Model 31 Skeet Gun --

Now Crosnoe Guns has come up with this immediate pre-War gun just like mine except no cap on the pistol grip --

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f ... =100727844
tudurgs

Post by tudurgs »

Regardless, they are great guns. I still use my Dad's solid rib 31 as my duck gun. I did cut 2" of the FC barrel so I could put in a Briley Thin Wall choke and shot steel thru it.

I also have a 20 gauge 31L which is my wet weather grouse gun. Very light - Too light for a round of skeet. The recoil really gets to me.