Completely Confused the dreaded "SportsMan" left in will

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Hagbard

Completely Confused the dreaded "SportsMan" left in will

Post by Hagbard »

I have sifted through countless post on here about how to real all of the barrel numbers and markings and I am at a complete loss. I am trying to figure out the value so I know what to do with it. I know it's a 16 ga

Virginian

Re: Completely Confused the dreaded "SportsMan" left in will

Post by Virginian »

February of ? Predates my table. Maybe Researcher will come along soon and solve it for you.
What could have happened... did.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The receiver with that serial number was put in work during March or April 1936. The Date code on the barrel of KF is K = May, F = 1937. The LK3 is a repair code meaning the gun was back to Ilion for some kind of repair -- L = February, K = 1941. IMP CYL is of course the choke of the barrel. The REP in the oval is Remington's proof mark. I've heard various versions of what the E stands for but most commonly I've heard Remington Explosive Proof. The anchor and the 1 are various inspector's marks.

My 16-gauge Sportsman is also a 26-inch solid rib barrel gun choked improved cylinder but of 1938 vintage, after they had gone to numbering the Sportsman in the same serial number sequence as the Model 11s, so my serial number is 1,521,464 --

with a barrel date code of CG -- C = April, G = 1938.
Hagbard

Post by Hagbard »

Thanks for clearing up the lettering. Any idea as to it's worth? Every place I have called or went says they are between $200 and $500 because it is just a Model 11 as they do not know the background of pre and post intermingling of serial numbers and models. Two even told me 200,000 serials don't exist and quit wasting their time, lol.
You just can't fix stupid
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Unless they are high grades from the Custom Shop, these old "square-back" Remingtons, Model 11 or Sportsman, don't drag much in the marketplace. I assembled my set of three Sportsman in 12-, 16- and 20-gauges back shortly before the economy tanked in 2008 and did it for pocket change over $600.

They sit a long time in the pawn shops around here with any price over $200, yet I see Shmoes at gunshows continually asking three times that and I continue to see the same stuff on their tables year after year.
Hagbard

Post by Hagbard »

Are any of these from the 1st run of production or all from after the combining of Sportsman and Model 11?
Two completely different markets would be my guess. This is from the last run of true Sportsman before they were combined with the Model 11 but it is also from the very short single bird on both sides production run.

Or is there no real difference?
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

What you say is true, but as far as the marketplace is concerned, nobody cares!!
Hagbard

Post by Hagbard »

LOL, it makes sense since there are so many questions about the 2 guns.