Just got an 1100 G3

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
dhenzler

Just got an 1100 G3

Post by dhenzler »

I just got an 1100 G3. Was disappointed that the receiver had some corrosion on it. Thought the Titanium coating would have prevented such "spotting" or "freckling". I typically don't buy guns that show such signs of neglect. But this was a Gunbroker deal, and I didn't really get so see more than a few slightly out of focus shots taken from 6 feet away.

There are issues that will be dealt with to improve my happiness. I will replace the buttpad which is missing a big hunk of rubber. It's an adjustable LOP. Nice in that this could be shot by my wife or daughter. The installation is a decent enough job.

I don't see any posts on the 1100 G3. I realize that it was a marketing flop, but still one hell of a shotgun in my humble opinion. I would have preferred the standard high gloss blued receiver over that Titanium BS. I guess Rem was responding to the Beretta "Blue" receiver on the 400's, that you could identify from adjacent skeet fields... who cares ?

Just because I am the first G3 post I'll put up some photos... http://24.172.105.90/guns/remington/110 ... index.html

enjoy. I can be reached by email or phone numbers on my website... http://ccskeet.com
Last edited by dhenzler on Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virginian

Re: Just got an 1100 G3

Post by Virginian »

A G3 is an 11-87 under the skin, hence the 3" and 2-3/4" capability. The snap together gas piston and piston seal is cheaper to make, but does not work as well as the old two piece bevelled set-up in many instances. I have not seen a snap together set-up on a 20 gauge before, only 12s. And, they did employ the O ring barrel seal. They were not really targeted at the Sporting market, but the gun is fairly well suited to those pursuits in any event. I looked at a couple of them and felt they were very nicely done, but I just don't/didn't need another 1100/11-87. The reason they failed on the market is most people are cheap. :shock:
My 1963 1100 wears the same O ring I put on in 1967 to replace the metal V ring so I wouldn't lose that. They do not move in service, but get torn by ham handed assembly/disassembly, or dissolve when someon uses a cheap plumber's O ring instead of Viton.
I think you got a good gun; use it in good health.
What could have happened... did.
dhenzler

Post by dhenzler »

Image is what the manual shows. The multiple pieces I'm used to seeing were not present until after firing the gun.

The normal two metal rings and one O ring showed up when I cleaned the gun after it's first use.

Dave
Last edited by dhenzler on Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

Part 12A is the barrel seal activator utilized on 20 gauge and 12 gauge SuperMag (3-1/2") 11-87s for shooting lighter loads. Be sure to remove it if you shoot heavy loads. I do not remember if it is plastic/synthetic or metal on the 20 gauge, but I THINK it is nickel plated steel. It is supposed to help seal the gas area off from the relief gas system for lighter loads. Lots of people didn't know what it was and either left it in the box or lost it, and then had trouble with light loads. An oversized O ring will do the same thing.
The newer gas piston and seal is a two piece arrangement that snaps together with a smaller outer ring snapping on the larger one. The older two piece bevelled arrangement (66 & 67) is shown on the schematic.
Someone will always say they have never had an issue, but many people with G3s/11-87s have had some issues with light loads, BUT when set up right, a G3 (or an 11-87) should be VERy reliable with light loads because the gas ports are even bigger than an 1100s. If you do run into any issues they are easily addressed.
Good luck and good shooting.
dhenzler

Post by dhenzler »

Well I shot the new (to me) 1100G3 today and it shot the Federal Target loads without any problems. I was pleased. I didn't shoot two full rounds as I let my buddies have a couple shots each so they could comment on the gun's performance. I hit well with it and using an IC choke the clays were dusted at most ranges. We had a Wind coming from the North West so the targets were acting like live birds, ducking and climbing and all sorts of antics that you don't normally see on a skeet field. However I did quite well with most of the shots, missing only a few high house due to additional velocity with the wind adding to the speed of the target. Leads were insufficient.

Upon opening the gun for a wipe down post shooting, I was surprised to find the O ring was on the barrel as normal, and the two metal seals were also in place. Apparently they had become lodged inside the gas piston ring below the barrel, and shooting a couple boxes dislodged them. The previously mentioned part was nowhere to be found. A call to Remington tomorrow will get the answer, and I'll post it.

So in my humble opinion, the G3 is a cool shotgun to shoot, handles well, and recoils minimally. It was a good buy after all, and will likely be kept. Although I will likely sell the hard case.. I have no need for it, and it's unlikely that it'll bring more added on to a future sale than I could get for it now.

So fellow Remington lovers that is it in a nutshell...

Dave
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

They had to have been lightly stuck or the gun would not have cycled. The gas piston and seal move every shot.