Model 11 Stuck Forestock

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
The Rattler

Model 11 Stuck Forestock

Post by The Rattler »

Took my 12 gauge Model 11 out for its twice per year 25 rounds of trap. I have field cleaned this gun many times. This time, however, I am unable to remove either the barrel or forestock. The forestock is slightly breaking at the end of the receiver. It cracked in 2 places & a small chip is missing. It appears that the forestock is slightly down too far on the receiver.

I am aware of the propensity of Model 11s to crack at the base of the forestock, and I had a crack repaired there about 1 1/2 years ago.

I don't mind buying another forestock and refinishing it and the buttstock, if that is needed. But, my immediate problem is that I can't get the forestock off an remove the barrel. After having difficulty with it, I removed the magazine spring. After that, the barrel will no longer push down even though the spring has been replaced.

If age is pertinent, I was told by a former gunsmith it was manufactured in the 30s, but the safety button is inside the trigger guard. I recently read that location of the safety button means it was manufactured before 1926.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.