Factory Choke Modification?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Gamemaster32

Factory Choke Modification?

Post by Gamemaster32 »

I recently gauged the choke on a Model 11 with a bbl. marked "Full." It measured exactly Modified. The bbl. date code was followed by the number 3, which I understand indicates factory repair. My question: If this gun/bbl. had at one time been returned to the factory for "opening" of the choke, would the factory have left the original "Full" inscription, or re-stamped the bbl. "Mod?"

I'm curious as to the consensus.

TIA
Virginian

Re: Factory Choke Modification?

Post by Virginian »

I have never seen a restamped choke on barrels that miked differently than they were marked. Not sure who did the modification. Not saying they haven't done it, but I have never seen it..
What could have happened... did.
Gamemaster32

Re: Factory Choke Modification?

Post by Gamemaster32 »

Am I correct in assuming you have never seen restamped choke inscriptions on bbls that were confirmed to have been returned to Remington?

I'm aware that genuine cut-down military combat shotguns have been noted to have the original choke inscriptions crossed out & restamped at various arsenals, & was curious as to whether or not Remington would've done something similar if a full-choked civilian gun had been returned to the factory simply to have the choke opened to modified?

TIA