Remington Model 11 seems all mixed up

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
TBAZ66

Remington Model 11 seems all mixed up

Post by TBAZ66 »

I purchased a Remington Model 11 and having a hard time linking all the information.

The Barrel is stamped Model 11 with the Remington Arms Union Metalic....
The serial number on the bottom of the barrel read 22292-
The serial number on the bottom of the carriage reads 222923
The safety is within the trigger guard in front of the trigger
It is the squared off grip
No markings on the side
No checkering on the stocks but high quality wood.
The additional marking on the left side of the barrel are LN3 and RTT3 and FULL

So what I confused about is the serial numbers from various post say -- "from James Tipton's list. He says 1917 goes to 204161. The factory ledger gives 199611 as the high number on Sept. 30, 1919? The charts say all bottom marks stop at that number.

The trigger safety says pre 1920 range whihc aligns with the 222923 marked on the bottom.

I have also read that you can read the date code on the barrel after 1927. The barrel is clearly marked RTT and I think a 3. Assuming that is a date mark using the chart again the R would be and October and the TT 1948 butt if I use the serial number that shows another date.

There are no marks on the sides of the gun.

I have some ideas but being new to this gun I am simply speculating. Any help sorting this out is appreciated.

Thanks

TBAZ
TBAZ66

Re: Remington Model 11 seems all mixed up

Post by TBAZ66 »

So my speculation and again I am a newbie to these old guns so it is pure speculation.

The LN3 stamp lines up with a February of 1922 date and the rest of the gun...I think. The bluing on the barrel is very good. Could the TNN3 mark be a factory re bluing of the gun in 1948. If the TNN3 is an actual date mark this might make sense.

I am still perplexed by the 222923 serial number marked on the bottom when reading bottom marking stopped just before this number.

Also was it customary to have a the last numbered as a dash on the serial number marked under the gun?

Thanks

TBAZ
Fowlgunner

Re: Remington Model 11 seems all mixed up

Post by Fowlgunner »

TBAZ66,

Not sure where you saw your reference but every Model 11 I have photos of up to SN 257,83X are stamped at the loading port. The earliest SN I have with side stamping is SN 276,47X.

Hope this helps.

The date stamps on the gun are followed by a 3 mean that the gun was accepted for service on those dates.

Will