Remington 31 Skeet Gun

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
300 Savage

Remington 31 Skeet Gun

Post by 300 Savage »

I just received a Remington Model 31 Vent Rib Skeet Gun. The barrel dates to June of 1949. It has a Cutts Compensator with Spreader Tube. The bluing on the barrel and Cutts all have the same wear and patina. Did Remington Supply these guns wtih Cutts Compensators or were they a factory option? How would I know how this left the factory? I can supply pictures if someone wants to provide a email address so that I could mail and they could load. Thansks,

PS: Just took it to my Gun Club this afternoon and shot a 24 on Skeet. It had been 6 weeks since I last shot, so I was a little rusty but liked the Gun and its performance on Clay targets.
Virginian

Re: Remington 31 Skeet Gun

Post by Virginian »

They were available from the factory. If there is no choke marking on the barrel it is likely a factory job.
What could have happened... did.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Remington Skeet Guns from March 6, 1936 catalogue --

On April 15, 1939, Remington Arms Co., Inc. began offering the Cutts Compensator on its shotguns --

From the 1948 Remington catalogue --

300 Savage

Post by 300 Savage »

Since my gun has a factory vented rib I am going to guess that the Cutts was installed after it left the factory. According to the catalogue page you scanned and posted it appears that only solid rib guns could be order with a Cutts factory installed. Would that be a correct conclusion?
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

Back then you could get about anything you wanted if you had the time and the money. It did not have to be cataloged. I got a factory non-ventilated rib (plain) Model 1100 barrel with Skeet choke in 1963.
What could have happened... did.