Remington Sportsman 48 TC - age & rarity?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Heidero

Remington Sportsman 48 TC - age & rarity?

Post by Heidero »

Just purchased a Sportsman 48 TC in 12 gauge. I've seen Model 31 TC and 870 TC versions, but not a 48. The serial doesn't follow normal Remington date codes with 3006xxx. There are no markings with letter codes on the 30# Full choke barrel.

Any idea when it was made and how many? It has upgraded wood with nice figuring and hand cut checkering. The barrel has twin beads and ivory on the end. Everything looks original too, so would like to know more about it. Tried searching for several weeks and cannot find a TC model.

Thanks
Virginian

Re: Remington Sportsman 48 TC - age & rarity?

Post by Virginian »

I would guess around 1957. I do not see a TC listed in semi autos, I would guess because back then many did not want shells hitting others on the line and I don't remember seeing a shell catcher until the late '60s. SC (skeet) grade listed from about 1954. But, back then you could get about anything you wanted if you had the money and were willing to wait. I would assume it's fairly rare, but don't know of any great value that attaches to that.
What could have happened... did.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

In my October 1950 Remington Arms Co., Inc. catalogue everything 11-48 and Sportsman 48 jumps from the B "Special" grade to the D "Tournament" Grade. There were no Trap guns or C quality autoloaders offered.
Heidero

Post by Heidero »

Guys - thank you both.

It's interesting that the serial number is on the receiver, not the barrel and the bottom of the receiver reads as follows:

Remington
Sportsman 48
TC

I'll try to post pictures. I'd just like to know more about it and am planning to keep the gun and just enjoy it.

I do have a question - the metal was all refinished by a Remongton Factory dealer in NY, but the wood is got a lot of scratches and could use a refinish job. Would I be crazy to do that? I've been refinishing guns since I was a teenager and figure since the matel is not original finish, it's OK to redo the wood.

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
IMG_3464.jpg
IMG_3464.jpg (147.17 KiB) Viewed 4905 times
Heidero

Post by Heidero »

Another picture of the complete gun. Sorry the first file was pretty big.
Attachments
IMG_3461.jpg
IMG_3461.jpg (181.76 KiB) Viewed 4904 times
Fowlgunner

Post by Fowlgunner »

Heidero,

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =514438933

Here is another that finally sold after a time or two around the auction block.

Rarity? They are not often encountered but do not seem to have the desirability some other TC's have.

If you plan to keep the gun, then by all means do what pleases you most.

Many SC's and TC's have some of the most striking wood of all the grades.

Glad you found one you like.

Will
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

I have copies of all the catalogs, and while an SC (skeet) is mentioned as being available starting early '50s, I see zero reference to a TC ever. Not saying they weren't made, obviously they were. Like I said, back then you could get about anything you wanted. As mentioned, the SC and TC guns usually had pretty wood. Looks like you got a nice one.
What could have happened... did.
Heidero

Post by Heidero »

Thanks to you both. The gunbroker listing above is the actual gun I purchased after watching it for some time. Sounds like this may have been a custom request gun if it isn't mentioned in the catalogs. Pretty cool to have it and I'll let you know how it shoots...probably can't hit a thing with the tight choke, but it'll be fun trying! I really appreciate your replies and info!
Heidero

Post by Heidero »

I was able to contact Remington today and they found that this gun was manufactured in 1949 according to the serial number. There was no other info regarding how many were made or any listing for a TC version of the Sportsman 48. So at least now I know the date it was made!

Polished up the bolt and carrier last night and will probably leave the finish as it is for now. Just go shoot it and enjoy.

Last question: Would anyone know where I can get a new Remington recoil pad in Red or whatever this color is? I see some brown ones online but they're always used. Does anyone make a reproduction?

Thanks,

Rob