Help Identifying a Remington 870 Compact in .410 bore

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
VA Lawdog

Help Identifying a Remington 870 Compact in .410 bore

Post by VA Lawdog »

I just picked up a very nice Remington 870 Compact in .410 bore and upon close inspection at home while cleaning same I noticed no barrel codes. The word, "FULL" though is marked on the left side of the barrel just forward the receiver but at the muzzle there is a RemChoke in "Mod." screwed in. How do you shoot a modified choke through a full choked barrel? I have what appears to be the original factory box and the gun appears to have been shot very little if at all. The gunshop says that the gun came to them used in that configuration. In the factory box came a second RemChoke marked "Imp. Cyl.". Am I correct to assume that I have a replacement barrel on this pump and what kind of patterning should I expect from a choke tubed barrel marked as full? I'm curious as to what kind of odd duck I have here. As always your advice and knowledgeable experience is greatly appreciated. Thanks Richard.
Virginian

Re: Help Identifying a Remington 870 Compact in .410 bore

Post by Virginian »

If the barrel has a choke marking on it, then the choke tubes were installed later. Are you sure they are RemChokes? I have had Colonial tubes installed because the fixed choke barrel was not thick enough for RemChokes, but I have no experience with the .410. They bore out all the existing choke when they machine for choke tubes.
What could have happened... did.
VA Lawdog

Post by VA Lawdog »

Thanks Virginian for your reply. All my chokes are marked Rem as they are all Remington chokes to my knowledge. All of my chokes are the stainless steel color extended screw in by hand types. Richard.

P.S. I live near West Point and am trying to get down to Old Forge Shooting Range and shoot some skeet. Maybe you have shot there?
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

Nope. Just recently moved back to the area after being gone 36 years.
What could have happened... did.