REMINGTON 1900 sxs

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
zzcutter

REMINGTON 1900 sxs

Post by zzcutter »

Hello, I have a rem 1900 sxs was manufactured in 1909 and not sure if barrels are steel or dam. the stamping on barrel is KEC. I have the rem book and know the D was used to indentify the dam barrels but what is the C mean. I first thought the C might have been an O and the stamp didn't register on the right side, but it diffently appears to look like a C. The barrels don't have any visable pattern and we belive the gun to be origanal but don't know for sure. Are there any ways to test if the barrels are dam. thanks ZZ
straight_grip

Re: REMINGTON 1900 sxs

Post by straight_grip »

Fantastic question my gun is marked similarly
K
E
C1
I have wandered forever. To the best of my ability my barrels are not damascus. I have some damscus barrled doubles to comparr them to and have looked at hundreds more and Im saying my barrels are not Damascus. But what does the C and C1 stand for?
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Pretty sure no one left alive really knows how to decipher those marks on the bottoms of the barrel tubes. Sometimes we think we know what some of the marks might mean, but going through the pictures in my files I see a /// K E Y on what appear to be clearly Damascus barrels?!?
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

I have a 1900 from 1910. When I bought it I though it had steel barrels because it had a solid blue finish. I later saw what I thought was a faint pattern in the steel so I tested it with a small drop of battery acid under the forearm. This brought out the Damascus pattern.

If you do test the barrels make sure you don't contact any other part of the barrel. Clean and neutralize the area with water to stop the reaction.

As Researcher rightly states there are many stampings on these guns whose meanings are lost to the mist of time. Most would be assembly numbers and inspector stamps.