Question regarding Remington 1100 20 gauge LW

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
quietman123

Question regarding Remington 1100 20 gauge LW

Post by quietman123 »

Hello, I recently purchased a mystery Remington 1100. Here are the details. Barrel is marked 20 ga. LW for 2 3/4 or or shorter shells. Barrel is marked imp cyl. Per my reading there should be date codes stamped on on left side of the barrel. There are none. Receiver is marked Remington Model-1100 with no LW stamp like I have seen on others. Serial Number is L365xxxK. I am hoping the L is for Light. My concern is it may be a LW barrel on a regular receiver. I would appreciate any input.
Virginian

Re: Question regarding Remington 1100 20 gauge LW

Post by Virginian »

The L serial number prefix means it was made between 1968 and 1974, and since that is before the LT version was introduced the K serial number suffix which denotes lightweight at the end means it is a Model 1100 LW20, in other words a first generation Lightweight. Remington rollmarking is not something to bet a lot of money on. I have 3 barrels with no date code, and I have seen an 1100 with no rollmarking at all except the serial number on one. Between the standard weight 20 gauges built on the 12 gauge sized receiver, the LW 20, and the LT 20 models, the barrels will not physically interchange and bolt up tight with the exception you could put an LW barrel on an LT receiver, and it would work fine and be safe, but it wouldn't eject. But with the increasing value of LW barrels you are not likely to find one of those just laying around, and you have an LW gun anyway.
You have a good gun. If you shoot heavy loads, I would keep an eye on the buffer. You can get an owner's manual at www.remington.com that covers the LT20 which is very similar, and you can call Remington and I believe they will get you the exact owner's manual.
What could have happened... did.
quietman123

Post by quietman123 »

Hi Virginian, I am from central Virginia. I appreciate the response. The news you shared with me is good news. Wasn't sure if I was as it appeared. Shotgun is really very nice. Thanks again for the quick reply.
Dan
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

If I had known you were from Virginia I would have added a smiley face. :D
What could have happened... did.