870 Wingmaster magazine plug

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
VA Lawdog

870 Wingmaster magazine plug

Post by VA Lawdog »

Just picked up a real nice 870 Wingmaster in 28 gauge and would like to buy a couple of extra magazine plugs. The one in the gun now is a slender yellow one. Checking several of the better known gun parts sites a magazine plug for a 28 gauge Wingmaster is not listed but they do have them for the 870 Wingmaster 20 gauge LW. Will that plug work in my 28 gauge? I do see where my current yellow magazine plug has printed on it 20LW/28 on the shaft. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Richard.
Virginian

Re: 870 Wingmaster magazine plug

Post by Virginian »

F403259 870 MAGAZINE PLUG 20 - 28 GA SYMMETRICAL YELLOW $4.12
Same plug fits 20 & 28. Also fits Model 1100. If I may be nosy, why do you need spare plugs? I have used a regular pencil with the end rounded and a stick in a pinch. Not me, but hunting partners who didn't have theirs.
What could have happened... did.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

Yeah, I've made several of my own magazine plugs using 1/2" wooden dowels cut to about 5 1/2" - 6" depending on the gauges and shell length. Then, I used some washers (3/4" diameter) with small center holes and screwed them to one end. Cheap, quick and easy.

I also suggest pre-drilling the holes for the screws as they may split the dowel rods if you don't.

Den

VA Lawdog

Post by VA Lawdog »

To Virginian.....you listed a part number but no store name. Whose store does that part number come from? I need spare plugs because here in Virginia during dove season we can not have more than 3 shells in the gun at any one time and from time to time a plug gets lost, cracked or split so replacement plugs makes it handy. Thanks Richard.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

Try Googling "F403259 870 MAGAZINE PLUG 20 - 28 GA SYMMETRICAL YELLOW $4.12" and see what you get.

Den

Virginian

Post by Virginian »

Remington part number so available from Remington. Midway and Brownells probably have them too. Green Top probably has them. In 53 years with Remingtons I have never lost, split, or otherwise damaged a plug so I cannot relate.
What could have happened... did.