Remington Model 31

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Dustman47

Remington Model 31

Post by Dustman47 »

My question to the forum concerns serial numbering of the stock on the Model 31. The only other two numbers I know of on the gun is on the barrel and the side of the receiver. It seems a bit odd to me that Remington would SN stocks on 31's since the wrist to receiver fit is so simple, not requiring much hand fitting. However, they are numbered or some are anyway. My gun SN is 24184 while my stock is 23784. I have double checked the number several times to be sure I didn't make a mistake in recording it. It's possible the stock may have been replaced somewhere in its life but it seems extremely odd the stock number would be such a close match but then not quite. Were the stock numbers intended to match the gun serial numbers or were they simple an inventory number that did not necessarily match?
Researcher

Re: Remington Model 31

Post by Researcher »

The trigger group was also serial numbered to the gun. I have four where all the numbers match, and I have one with the flaming bomb and government inspector initials on the receiver. On it the barrel, receiver and trigger group are all different and to top it off, it is a 1934 version but it has a 1941 version buttstock on it!! After WW-II when the government arsenals cleaned and serviced these guns en masse, they don't appear to have even attempted to get the original pieces back together.
Dustman47

Re: Remington Model 31

Post by Dustman47 »

That's good to know. Since mine apparently didn't have the original stock on it, then it won't be any worse to replace it with an original but non-matching stock. The stock I have was shortened and a Red Head recoil pad added. Hawkins but not Red Head were available from Remington on the higher grade 31s but mine is standard grade. I think I'll look for an original, uncut, Rem. stock with standard Rem. butt plate. I'm a little disappointed the stock doesn't match but it's in very good condition otherwise and I didn't pay much for it. I'd be interested in any other comments on SNs from other readers.