Remington model 32 confusing markings

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
ltjc5

Remington model 32 confusing markings

Post by ltjc5 »

Hi Everyone,
I am looking at a model 32 shotgun. The present owner says it is a Trap Model gun. It has 30 inch bbls, choked full and full and a trap style buttstock. It also has a solid rib. All in All it looks like a legit trap style shotgun with an original finish. My question is that on the bottom of the receiver the gun is marked "SKEET". All the numbers match (bbls, receiver, forearm, forearm wood, and the owner says the buttstock matches also although I didn't remove it to check). Did Remington make a trap model 32 with SKEET marked on the bottom of the receiver?
Thanks for any info, ltjc5
remdog1187

Re: Remington model 32 confusing markings

Post by remdog1187 »

Probably was ordered as a skeet (receiver) gun with skeet barrels that are no longer with the gun. Another set of 30" trap barrels with matching serial numbers could have been ordered to facilitate both disciplines.

I have a M32 TC (Target) 30" F/F model that also came with a matching serial numbers 26" factory barrel choked IC/MOD.

It was common for multiple barrel sets to be ordered.
Last edited by remdog1187 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ltjc5

Post by ltjc5 »

Hi Rem Dog,
Thank you for the information, this gun has another set of barrels but different #s and choked mod and full. I guess the skeet bbl are gone.
Thanks again , ltjc5
remdog1187

Post by remdog1187 »

Itjc5,

Interesting that it is a numbers matching gun. That is a positive.
The fact that is has a solid rib is interesting. Supposedly from all of the info I have studied only the 32S "Trap Special" came with that. My numbers matching
32S came with a vented rib.
Fowlgunner

Post by Fowlgunner »

I do not have any catalogue information on the 32 "Skeet" however, I can tell you with certainty that many of the early Ithaca Model 37 Skeet guns were choked full.

Will