Model 17

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
coondawg

Model 17

Post by coondawg »

Ive been looking at the old Remmie pump guns for a while and I ran across a couple this week I liked so they came home with me a model 31 in 12gauge 26" mod barrel in good shape and this little jewel a model 17 28" mod barrel. It looks well used, the bluing is gone and it has a crack in the wrist, but functions flawlessly. I was wondering about what year it was built?
ImageImageImageImage
coondawg

Re: Model 17

Post by coondawg »

What a fun little 20ga. I shot some skeet with it Sunday and I believe it's the best handling 20ga I have shot.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

About all we can say is that it is an early gun, likely 1921 or 2. The first page of Model 17 information is missing from the old factory ledger. Page 2 starts with serial number 35637, the highest reached by January 19, 1926. BO was the inventory code for the Model 17 early on. They likely started working on getting the Model 17 into production during 1919 and 1920, when the company name was Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co., Inc. During 1920 there was a reorganization and on May 24, 1920, a new company was incorporated, Remington Arms Co., Inc. On August 11, 1920, Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co., Inc. was officially dissolved. The Model 17 was introduced in the first catalogue put out under the Remington Arms Co., Inc. name, Catalog No. 51 --

Early on, the guns had Model 17 and the older company name roll-stamped on the barrels,

and the inventory code and serial number on the bottom of the receiver --

Later, Model 17, the Remington logo and the serial number were put on the left side of the receiver --

Eventually the roll-stamping on the barrels became --

I've recently seen a very late Model 17 where those thrifty boys and girls at Ilion used up a barrel with the early roll-stamp.
coondawg

Post by coondawg »

Thanks for the info Resercher! Mine looks like it was used a lot, but functions great. I like for my vintage firearms to look vintage. Thanks again!
bksht

Post by bksht »

Gee, I recognize some of those photos :wink: