Remington Repeating Shotgun/Model 10

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Researcher

Remington Repeating Shotgun/Model 10

Post by Researcher »

I just got the new issue of The Remington Collector's Journal, and want to say that it is another fine job by Roy Marcot and all the authors.

Being a shotgun guy, I immediately zeroed in on the RemShots segment on the Remington Model 10 on pages 4 and 5. I notice that there is quite a difference between the serial number chronology in that RemShots segment done for shipping records --

which goes up to 274995 and the old "between the Wars" factory ledger, available on this web site --

with serial numbers going up to 277990. Any way to reconcile these?
Mike Strietbeck

Re: Remington Repeating Shotgun/Model 10

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

Hello Researcher,

Just spotted your comments on the two charts for the Model 10 and the variation in the numbering sequence. With both charts generated by the Remington factory at lion, I have to give the same value to both. The hand written ledger is reported to be a record of production quantities, probably compiled from daily production records submitted to the office staff, while the type written list was a compilation of shipping records done sometime in the the 1970's. While the difference between production and shipping quantities is expected on an ongoing basis, I cant explain the approximate 3000 unit difference in the total quantity. Hope this either helps or adds to the confusion.

RemShots
Mike Strietbeck
2ManyRems

Post by 2ManyRems »

I'd really like to believe Remington's paperwork, then I see a gun like this. What happened? :-)
Attachments
323524M10.jpg
323524M10.jpg (24.64 KiB) Viewed 2921 times
Fowlgunner

Post by Fowlgunner »

2ManyRems,

If you look at the barrel SN on that gunbroker listing you will see that the barrel is 223,524.

Most likely the receiver was miss stamped, human error imagine that. Lol

The earliest photo I have of the serial number on the side of the receiver is sn 234,5xx.

Hope this restores your faith in the only records available.

Merry Christmas,

Will
2ManyRems

Post by 2ManyRems »

You're sight is way better than mine! :-) Thanks! Merry Christmas!