Sportsman 20GA year of manufacture help

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Forensicfirearms

Sportsman 20GA year of manufacture help

Post by Forensicfirearms »

I have acquired a Remington Sportsman 20GA shotgun in excellent shape. I am trying to figure out what year it was manufactured. From research on this forum, I have been able to determine it was most likely manufactured after WWII. The question is what year? The serial number is 107055X. The gun has the single bird roll marks on the receiver and the “THE SPORTSMAN” roll mark on the bolt. The serial number and markings all indicate it was made after 1938 when the Model 11 and Sportsman were no longer serialized separately. According to the ledger of serial numbers found on the RSA web site, the last serial number for a 20GA Sportsmans was 1070476, made in June of 1942, when production stopped for the war. Since my serial number is less than eighty guns later, I assume it was made as one of the first after production restarted after the war. Normally I would go to the barrel code to get a better idea of the date of manufacture but this presents a problem. The barrel has no date code stamped on it. In fact, other than the normal roll mark on the top with the gauge, Remington Arms Co. and patent dates there are no other marks on the barrel. There is no serial number on the bottom of the ring, nor any choke designation, there is nothing. The barrel appears to be original to the gun as it is also in excellent shape. The bluing appears to be original and there is no indication that the marks had been removed or polished off. They were just never stamped. This may also indicate the gun was post war and that they were trying to quickly get things up and running again and missed a few steps in marking the barrels early on when production restarted. One more interesting item is that the patent dates on the barrel has one more date added to the end that is not see on my other Sportsman guns (made in 1938 and 1941) that were made before the war. The extra patent date is “Also Pat. No. 1.931.262”. So my questions are as follows. When was this additional patent date added to the roll mark for the barrel? When did Remington resume production of the Model 11 and Sportsman shotguns after WWII? I am estimating that this gun was made in 1946 or 1947 but can only make an educated guess from the information available. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Virginian

Re: Sportsman 20GA year of manufacture help

Post by Virginian »

Unless I am reading something wrong, your serial number is before the last produced number in 1942.
No date code on the barrel is not that unusual for any Remington shotgun up through the 1980s so that doesn't say much to me, but unless it had a Cutts or a PolyChoke installed at the factory, no choke marking is unusual. Researcher will probably be along and nail things down for you.
What could have happened... did.
Forensicfirearms

Post by Forensicfirearms »

Thanks for the information on the barrel codes. I did not realize that they are sometimes missing. The barrel does not have a PolyChoke or Cutts or any other type of add on choke. It is the original barrel. I measured the choke with a guage and it measures out to be full choke. My serial number is definatly after the last one made in 1942. 55X versus 476 for the last three digits.
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

Duh. I just realized you substituted an 'X' for the last digit. I was thinking the X was an actual part of the serial number like with some later Remingtons.
What could have happened... did.