Model 11 Action Question

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
bluegill

Model 11 Action Question

Post by bluegill »

Hello,

1924 Model 11. Shoots great single shot, ejects fully and chamber locks open as it should on a single round.

However when I have more shells in the magazine, about 1/2 the time after the first round, the bolt remains locked back, and doesn't close to advance the next round. The shell appears (to me) to be in the correct position for chambering. It's not jammed. If I turn the weapon over it rolls out. Or if I press the button to close the chamber, it chambers the next round just fine.

Shooting 1 1/8 loads. Friction rings are set for light loads, but I don't think it's a friction ring problem because the barrel is moving back enough to open/lock the chamber just fine.

Any thoughts on what would cause the bolt to lock back when there's still a round in the magazine / chamber?

Thanks for any tips. Dan
L D Archer

Re: Model 11 Action Question

Post by L D Archer »

The mostly cause is when the cartridge comes down from the magazine it is not tripping the carrier latch. Since it releases when you press the release button I would think the end the cartridge pushes on is worn so the cartridge does not push it out far enough or there is a burr on the carrier latch where it slides on the carrier. The ammo you are using may have a slightly smaller rim diameter which may add to the issue. Not to likely but the carrier latch coil spring may have slipped out of position or caught behind the latch such that the cartridge can't trip the latch but pushing on the release button will trip it out. I have a 1924 12 gage I replaced the carrier latch due to wear on the cartridge end. I would try a different brand of ammo first if you don't feel comfortable taking the gun apart. Carrier latches are easily available.

Remember whenever you take the bolt out check to see the bolt buffer is still intact in the receiver