Model 1100 - 1964??

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
doublej99

Model 1100 - 1964??

Post by doublej99 »

I have inherited my father's Model 1100 with the 22 inch deer rifle barrel. The only numbers I can find on the shotgun are on the left side of the barrel - A D L 7. If this is correct, I interpret the shotgun to be manufactured in September, 1964? I read in the journals that the Deer Gun was introduced in 1966. Also, the barrel does not have the ramp front sight and adjustable rifle-type rear sight; only a bead at the end of the barrel.

In addition to the above, there is no serial number on the left side of the receiver. And on the right side of the receiver, above the trigger, it has MAGNUM (All CAPS and Italicized) stamped.

Does anyone have an idea of the manufacture date? Is it really the Deer Gun? Also, what do I do about the NO serial number? I would like to have the gun restored but no reputable gunsmith will touch it without the serial number.

Thank you all for your assistance. DoubleJ in Dallas
Virginian

Re: Model 1100 - 1964??

Post by Virginian »

Well, the barrel was made either in 1964 or 1991. And it was not the original barrel on that Magnum receiver, unless it says for 3" Magnum shells on the barrel. I do not show any 22" barrels (or anything close) without either rifle sights or RemChokes in either 1964 or 1991. All the deer barrels have had sights on them. It is probable the barrel is a field barrel that was shortened, and in that case it may be the original barrel that was shortened, if it says 3" on it. What does the choke measure? Can you post a picture of the receiver and/or stock? That will at least narrow down the years range.
Serial numbers were not mandatory before 1968, as per the Gun Control Act of 1968. But, I have never seen a Remington without a serial number going back to forever. Not saying it wasn't possible, just very, very unlikely. If it is a post 1979 receiver, it is technically illegal with no serial number. If it's a pre-1979 receiver you can just claim it is a 1964 and no one can prove anything different, and they should be able to work on it with no issues, but I'm thinking none of them have ever seen a Remington without a serial number and they are very leery, too. It is not a 1991 receiver because they had quit making the 1100 Magnums by then due to the introduction of the 11-87.
What could have happened... did.
Wulfman

Re: Model 1100 - 1964??

Post by Wulfman »

I was preparing a reply, but after I saw that Virginian had already posted, I scrapped most of it.
However, one of the things I was wondering was......what is wrong with it that it has to be "restored"?

And, since you mentioned "the journals" I presumed you obtained some of your information from this excellent article in the RSA Journals.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/journals/1100

And, that I could envision many possibilities as to how it came to be in the configuration you described.

Den