manufacture date of model 11

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Texas_sheepdog

Re: manufacture date of model 11

Post by Texas_sheepdog »

Thank you. I am amazed that this shotgun is in perfect working order and shoots like a dream for a 107 yr old shotgun
Pheasant Hunting

Post by Pheasant Hunting »

Sorry to get in this post late just joined today.
I inherited this shotgun from my father several years ago and am about to pass it on to my son.
I have a Rem with model 11 stamped on the breach, a pheasant stamped on one side with a duck on the other.
Serial number 804195 stamped on the receiver and barrel ring. Imp Cal stamped on the barrel. This is a 12 gauge.
Any information would be appreciated.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

That would be a very late gun, probably from 1947 or 48. There should be a three-letter date code on the left side of the barrel just forward of the receiver ending in SS for 1947 or TT for 1948 with the first letter being for the month. That choke marking should be Imp Cyl. Guns with the 26-inch Imp Cyl choked barrels are a lot more scarce then those with the 28- or 30-inch Full choke barrels. Great bird gun, but they are heavy!!
Pheasant Hunting

Post by Pheasant Hunting »

The shotgun shoots like a dream, and shoots point of aim, but yeah very heavy to swing seems I am always playing catch up with the clays in skeet with this shotgun.
Found using this shotgun, swing through is not the optimal method..:lol:
Looked at the location looks like a (PTT then a Tree looking stamp?) the stampings were not in line so i did not pay a lot of attention to it.
These were located below the IMP CYL stamp sorry the Cal was a fat finger on my phone my apologies
The barrel I can confirm is a 26 in.
On the bottom of the barrel is the following an anchor, 2, ARR a 4 pointed star an N and an alignment mark.
The forehand guard has lots of checkering, the pistol grip has checkering on each side.
Hard plastic butt cover (looks like bakelite) with Remington stamped at the top(not a recoil pad for sure). I have to use a recoil pad in my shooting vest to shoot. Us old guys get to do that.. :D
Husker69

Post by Husker69 »

I acquired my grandfathers (just passed at 105 1/2 years old) Remington Model 11 #1036573, if you can offer me any information about this gun.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Without a bunch of pictures, all we can tell you is that it is a 20-gauge and that the receiver with serial number 1036573 was put in work between 18 and 27 December 1930.
Mike7901

Post by Mike7901 »

I have an old Sportsman, s/n 768xxx, on the barrel, MFG by Remington under Patten of Browning. I have been trying to find the year of mfg., best I have found is 1947. For a long time I though it was a model 11, there is no model 11 stamped any where on the gun. Any thoughts?
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

1947 sounds about right. The Model 11 was a five-shot gun and The Sportsman was a three-shot gun.
Model 11 and Sportsman.jpg
Model 11 and Sportsman.jpg (27.18 KiB) Viewed 13024 times
Early on the A "Standard" Grade The Sportsman had a three-bird roll-stamped scene on each side of the receiver and the name The Sportsman roll-stamped on the upper left side of the receiver.
S5164 Sportsman 20-gauge.JPG
S5164 Sportsman 20-gauge.JPG (378.46 KiB) Viewed 13024 times
Model 11A "Standard" Grades had plain receivers. About 1936-7 the roll-stamped scene was reduced to one bird and applied to both The Sportsman and Model 11
The Sportsman Skeet Gun left close.jpg
The Sportsman Skeet Gun left close.jpg (366.38 KiB) Viewed 13024 times
and the name Model 11 or The Sportsman was stamped on the breechbolt.
The Sportsman Skeet Gun right close.jpg
The Sportsman Skeet Gun right close.jpg (361.07 KiB) Viewed 13024 times
Bearkat

Post by Bearkat »

I have a basket case that, based on this string, is a .12ga "Remington Autoloading Shotgun" with a serial number of 277XX under the receiver, with matching number on the trigger housing and barrel. It has a "CYL stamped both under the barrel, just in front of the barrel extension, and again on the left side of the barrel just in front of the extension. On top of the barrel, it reads Manufactured by the Remington Arms Co., etc. There are no rolled stampings on the the receiver or bolt like on my Sportsman. Am I correct that this gun was made sometime in 1906-1908?

As a basket case, it will require some parts, but most of it is there. The stock and forearm are roached, so I'll have to replace them. I love my '45 .12 ga Sportsman with MOD barrel, so I suspect I am going to love this one too.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It was made in 1907

The 1905-1931 serial list on the site has quite a few firearms listed.
Bearkat

Post by Bearkat »

Thanks so much for the response and for giving me the correct year of manufacture. I need to order stocks for this shotgun, but when I am not sure what to ask for. They are standard grade stocks, with a five shot forearm, but have the stock has the early rounded nob pistol grip. Any guidance as to the right supplier and how to properly identify the gun to them would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance
Fowlgunner

Post by Fowlgunner »

Bearkat,

Model 11's have 3 different stock types.

The Pre 180,000 SN guns are Type 1's the have different inletting as the tangs were shorter and the radius more open.

You will not find finished stocks from the stock maker/reproducers only semi-inletted and un-finished.

Your best bet is to keep an eye on eBay and find a suitable replacement from there.

If it has a round knob it will have tear drop cheeks where it meet the receiver. This is how you will know if it is truly Remington and of the vintage you seek.

Watch for internal cracks, they can be repaired but these stocks were notorious for splintering off a section next to the tangs.

Good Luck, Will
Bearkat

Post by Bearkat »

Will,

Thank you very much for the tips. I am fine with non-vintage stocks as this gun is a basket case. I am resto-modding it as a way to showcase my skills as a gunsmith and coatings artist. I love these old shotguns and intend to produce a tasteful restoration, but with a facelift. If its okay, and if there is any interest from the readers, I will post some pics as I go along.

Thanks very much,
Bearkat
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

By the way here's the link to Model 11 serials and few more.
https://www.remingtonsociety.org/serials-1890-1931/
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

That serial number chronology for 12-gauge Model 11s is right on with the old factory ledger when the ledger starts in 1919, but it is 10K off by 1931?!?
Last edited by Researcher on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.