Remington Model 11 #18895 with a Cutts Compensator barrel

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
BradR

Remington Model 11 #18895 with a Cutts Compensator barrel

Post by BradR »

I am trying to figure out when this gun was manufactured. I have run across a lot of conflicting opinions about the pre 1921 serial numbers and what years they correspond to. I am thinking it is 1905-1906 but would love a more expert opinion on it. Any help would be appreciated. The gun is in great shape for a gun of its age and was obviously used but very well taken care of.

Thanks!

Fowlgunner

Re: Remington Model 11 #18895 with a Cutts Compensator barre

Post by Fowlgunner »

Brad,

There is not a definitive answer for your question unfortunately.

I can tell you I have an image of a 1952 Remington letter stating that a 15,2xx serial number gun was an "A" grade and shipped to a wholesaler in Nebraska in 1907.

In June of 1907, Jeff J. Blanks of Trezevant, TN was presented with a No. 6 Remington Autoloading Shotgun with a 25,xxx serial number.

Factory ledgers do not start until much later.

Thanks, Will
Researcher

Re: Remington Model 11 #18895 with a Cutts Compensator barre

Post by Researcher »

According to the serial number chronology in James Tipton's Model 11 article in the Remington Society of America Journal, 2nd Quarter 2000, serial number 18895 would be a 1906 vintage gun, and therefore a Remington Autoloading Shotgun. From the 1906 Remington Arms Co. catalogue --

The Cutts Compensator for shotguns was introduced in the 1930s. Remington Arms Co., Inc. began offering the Cutts Compensator as an option on their pump and autoloading shotguns in 1939 --

Of course one could send any single barrel off to Lyman to have a Cutts installed and many local gunsmiths also did the installations.

From the pictures it appear that the stock is a good 1/8 inch loose on the receiver. That should certainly be addressed before ever shooting the gun.