Question on 1932 Model 11 Autoloader

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Ron71

Question on 1932 Model 11 Autoloader

Post by Ron71 »

Hello. I'm a new member here. I actually own three Remingtons - an 870 Express and two pass-downs from my Grandfather: a 12 Gauge Model 11 and 22 caliber Model 12 pump action rifle. My post here is in reference to the Model 11...

My understanding by checking the code stamped on the barrell that this 11A shotgun was manufactured in November of 1932. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But the larger question for me revolves around the numbered stamped UNDERNEATH the barrell (picture 3). Excuse me if this is common knowledge around here, and I tried to look up another forum post that goes over this. But just out of curiosity, what exactly do these numbers and letters represent?

Thanks...

WHAT DO THESE NUMBERS MEAN?

Ron71

Re: Question on 1932 Model 11 Autoloader

Post by Ron71 »

Wow it's been a couple of weeks, so I guess nobody knows? Maybe I have something unique? Have to pose it to the guys at Remington I guess!
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

The date code on the barrel is November 1932. I can almost guarantee you no one at Remington will have a clue about the numbers on the bottom of the barrel. Researcher might. I do not. I thought the barrels were serial numbered to the gun. Maybe someone replaced the barrel at some point. I do not know enough about Model 11s to say if that barrel date matches the serial number date. Or they could be an assembly code, a craftman's inspection code, an assembly code, anything. Gun looks to be in very good condition, well cared for. Good luck.
Oops. I just enlarged my screen and I see that the barrel is serial numbered to the gun. Sorry.
What could have happened... did.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

With the company name on the barrel of Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co. it indicates the barrel was made between 1911 and 1916. Serial number 141114 would be a late 1911 gun. The RA3 is a repair code -- R = November, A = 1932, 3 = repair. Possibly the repair was a new butt stock, as the grip style shown on the gun was not in use in 1911 when the gun was made --

but was in 1932.

Very likely no one still alive knows what the D123 and various letters on the bottom of the barrel represent.
Ron71

Post by Ron71 »

Outstanding! Thank you so much for this information. This is a family heirloom that was passed down to me by my mother from my grandfather after he died. There was no way to ask him about this.

From the date that you gave me (1911) it must have been originally owned by my great grandfather - as my grandfather was born in 1905 and he couldn't have possibly purchased it at that age.

Modification also sounds right because everyone tells me that the gun looks like it is in such good shape. Still - in awesome shape for a gun modified in 1932 right?

Thanks again. Really appreciate the info...
Fowlgunner

Post by Fowlgunner »

The stock styling looks exactly right for the first transition from round knob to flat knob. It can be verified to the gun by checking the serial number stamping under the lower tang, of course this will require removal of the stock.

This transition evolved as the radius of the grip evolved.

Below 180,000 serial numbers are considered type I stocks.

The earliest catalogue that I have that shows these is 1918-19, but I have seen the flat knob in advertisements from as early as 1915.

The gun is in extremely nice condition for it's age, whether it is original condition or a 1932 factory re-blue and refinish are hard to ascertain with out close inspection.

Thanks for sharing, Will