Remington 1100 20GA

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Scorpius13

Remington 1100 20GA

Post by Scorpius13 »

I just inherited a Remington 20 GA from my father who passed away. I'm not exactly sure about any of them so i figured i would ask you guys. I am trying to date this shotgun but I don't think that I understand exactly how the date stamp works. I have 4 letters and all i can find is how to date it by only using 2. So i guess I'm asking what two do I use? It came with 2 Barrels.

1. Full - ALPS
2. Skeet - ARRZ

and the Serial Number on the Gun is 367695X

Does any of this tell me anything?

Thank you for you help
Virginian

Re: Remington 1100 20GA

Post by Virginian »

That tells you all there is to know.
It is a standard weight 20 gauge, built on the 12 gauge sized receiver, discontinued about 1978 or so if I remember right. They cut way back on poroduction after the lightweight 20s, LW and LT size, were introduced bfore stopping production entirely.
The gun/receiver was built before 1968 (no letter prefix to the serial number), likely 1966.
Barrel codes are usually 3 or 4 digits, and the last digit is an assembly code, so use the next to last two letters. Lots of barrels have no date codes, and not just extra barrels either.
The Full choke barrel was built February 1967.
The Skeet barrel was built November 1968.
It probably came with the Full barrel. It is not unusual to have several months between a receiver being stamped and a barrel getting made. These guns were - and are still with some folks - quite popular with Skeet shooters because they were heavier because they were built on the 12 gauge sized receiver. Very light recoil with Skeet loads. Probably why he added the Skeet barrel.
Some of the parts are starting to get scarce now.
What could have happened... did.