Model 10-A Deciphering Help?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
DaddysShotgun

Model 10-A Deciphering Help?

Post by DaddysShotgun »

I recently inherited a Model 10-A from my father. I knew nothing about it before coming here and have learned a good bit but I still have question. Hoping somone here will chuckle at my ignorance and take mercy on me! :)

On the top of the barrel, it is stamped:

MODEL 10-A

Still on the top of the barrel but to the right of that, and in smaller type, is stamped:

REMINGTON ARMS-UNION METALLIC CARTIDGE CO.
REMINGTON WORKS, ILIC <which I know is supposed to be "ILION, NY">
PATENTED FEBRUAR

(Of course, there is more on that line but it is worn away...)

On the left side of the barrel, it is stamped:

MOD A
. EYY3
. <mark> KC3

My first reading was that this meant it was made in May of 1934 ("K" & "C") and repaired by Remington in October of 1952 ("E" & "YY") but the Model 10 stopped production in 1929. :(

On the right side of the barrel but inverted is stamped:

. U

On the underside of the receiver is stamped:

. U
154***

(Asteriks are mine.)

On the tail of the trigger-strap is stamped the round "Remington UMC" trademark.

The slide-lock on the left side is stamped:

TRADE Remington MARK

I believe it is a 27-inch barrel and I think the stock and forearm are walnut. The forearm is checked (rather than ribbed as in most pictures I have seen.) I'm not sure if it was once blued and has totally worn or if it was stripped or if it is some ancient stainless or what (but it now has an almost nickel-like patina...)

I'm wondering when it was made, what length shell it would have been originally chambered for (I'll take it to a 'smith before shooting it) and anything else people can tell me. One curiosity about this particular piece is that my father (former special forces and homicide detective) apparently look for several years to find this exact model (supposedly due to a peculiar fire-on-pump action when the trigger is held.) Can anyone throw me a bone??? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Brian
Researcher

Re: Model 10-A Deciphering Help?

Post by Researcher »

The company name was Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co. from 1911 to 1920 when it changed to Remington Arms Co., Inc.

The letter U was the stock letter for these early pump guns as P and Q were for the hammerless doubles Model 1894 and 1900.

The serial number factory ledger available on this web site shows that in on September 30, 1919, the Model 10 serial numbers were up to 172,939, so with a serial number in the 154xxx range your gun was made earlier in the teens.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/FR04

If 275065 is the serial number on your barrel that would make it from early May 1928, according to the serial number chart. So, why isn't it stamped Remington Arms Co., Inc.?

My guess would be your gun and the barrel didn't start life together, and the KC3 and the EYY3 are both Remington repair codes.
DaddysShotgun

Post by DaddysShotgun »

Very interesting! Thank you. It makes sense to me now (I think.) The receiver (154180) was made in the late 'teens but has a barrel (275065) from May of '28. The gun (or at least the gun that had the barrel at the time) was back at Remington in May of '34 and October of '52. Assuming its integrity is sound, is it likely safe with modern ammunition or should it be just a sentimental keepsake?
lowgun

Post by lowgun »

The link to factory ledgers doesn't address earlier serial numbers for Model 10s. When would #114,105 have been made? Did Model 10 serial numbers start with the number 1?
DaddysShotgun

Post by DaddysShotgun »

Just FYI, when I posted here, I asked the same basic questions of Remington, too, and got this response from them a few minutes ago:

Thank you for visiting Remington Country. According to the information that you provided, your Remington Model 10 was produced in or around 1917 with a barrel that was produced in 1928. We have no records to show that this gun has been back for service. This model was introduced in 1908 and was originally referred to as the Remington Pump Action Repeating Shotgun. This model was renamed the Remington Model 10 in 1911 and was discontinued in 1929 with more than 275,000 produced. This was the first slide action shotgun produced by Remington. We would recommend that you take your older firearm to a qualified gunsmith to have it examined before attempting to fire it.
Sabith

Post by Sabith »

I have also, received this shotgun from my father. it is a 10-A, with a serial number on the barrel and reciever the same, it is U 123101.

I am interested in three things.

1. what year was this made in?
2. any estimate on the value of these older firearms? Rough idea only, not holding anyone to anything, I just would like an idea.
3. and I have a choke on it, did they come with a choke fromt he factory? (Herters, inc)

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Ken
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Around here average condition old Model 10-A pumpguns are usually less then $200 in the pawn shops. Choke devices were not offered from the Remington factory during the years the Model 10 was being built. I can't date it any better then in the teens. The ledger available on the web site starts in September 1919, likely when the factory resumed civilian production after the "Great War."
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

lowgun wrote:The link to factory ledgers doesn't address earlier serial numbers for Model 10s. When would #114,105 have been made? Did Model 10 serial numbers start with the number 1?
Starts at 1, year 1913
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

Sabith wrote:I have also, received this shotgun from my father. it is a 10-A, with a serial number on the barrel and reciever the same, it is U 123101.

I am interested in three things.

1. what year was this made in?
2. any estimate on the value of these older firearms? Rough idea only, not holding anyone to anything, I just would like an idea.
3. and I have a choke on it, did they come with a choke fromt he factory? (Herters, inc)

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Ken
Year 1914
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
Sabith

Post by Sabith »

Very cool, thanks a ton... :)

Anyone know of a manual or guide for cleaning or dismanteling one?

Ken
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

I made a new post for assembly / disassembly will also make a sticky.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
Fowlgunner

Post by Fowlgunner »

David,

Were the 10's numbered where the Pre-10's left off, like the 11's?

I also thought the Remington Repeating Shotgun was introduced in 1908?

Not doubting you, just what is printed in the "Blue Book".

Hope you are well.

Will Gurton