Sportsman 48 Restoration

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
TravellinMan94

Sportsman 48 Restoration

Post by TravellinMan94 »

I have a Sportsman 48 in 12 gauge and it needs a little TLC. The wrist on the stock is cracked, so I was considering getting a Remington factory stock as a replacement and of the Poly-choke that was once attached is gone, only the brazed on threaded piece remains. I can get both items for $217, shipping included, plus whatever it costs to have a qualified gunsmith remove the Poly-choke parts that remain and attach the new one. I also want to strip the bluing to get the rust off and buff the minor scratches out prior to a reblue, in addition to redoing the aluminum parts. While I'm in there, I guess I'll do a deep-clean of all parts and a good re-oiling. I have also been thinking that a polishing of the contact surfaces wouldn't be a terrible idea.

I guess what I'm asking is whether it's worth it to do all that for this gun. My low estimate in restoring this thing to its former glory, or something close to it, falls at about $450, including the gun itself. Any suggestions? This gun has gotten into some pretty respectable territory. According to the barrel markings, it will be 70 years old next year.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sportsman 48 Restoration

Post by admin »

I'd consider watching sales on gunbroker and then making the call for example.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/740220162
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

Rather than having a poly-choke reinstalled, I'd check on having a Remchoke installed. IMHO the Remchoke looks much better than the poly-choke. There are several firms that can add a Remchoke system to old barrels. Check out one firm on eBay.
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

RemChokes are usually too large to install on the older fixed choke style barrels, However Colonial, Trulock, Carlsons and other all have choke tubes that can be installed. I have Colonials installed on two older Model 1100 barrels and they perform fine.
What could have happened... did.
Jack71

Post by Jack71 »

Sounds like you will be spending more than the gun would be worth after all the work is done. The 48s are nice guns (have two of them), but good problem-free examples can usually be bought for a very reasonable amount. I think I paid about $325 a few years ago for the last one I bought.
Having said that, if this gun has sentimental value (like it's been in the family for 70 years) then I wouldn't mind spending $450 to fix it up.