Double Barrel Shotgun

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
gmgoudy

Double Barrel Shotgun

Post by gmgoudy »

I have a old Remington double barrel shotgun. Could you help me ID this gun? The serial number is 367004. Would you be able to tell me when the gun was made, what kind of barrels does it have and would I be able to shoot modern ammo with the gun? The gun is in need of restoration. But If I’m able to find out this info it might make it worth the money to restore it.Thank you for your help.
Researcher

Re: Double Barrel Shotgun

Post by Researcher »

Your gun would be a K-Grade Remington Hammerless Double, also known as the Model 1900. Remington Model 1900s are a simplified, cheaper, version of the Model 1894, built on the same patents -- No. 528,507 and No. 528,508 both granted Oct. 30, 1894. The Model 1900s were all K-Grades, with E added to the designation if the gun had ejectors and D if it had Damascus barrels -- K-, KE-, KD-, or KED-Grades. The K- and KE-Grades had Remington Steel barrels. The Model 1900s had a snap-on/off forearm and their serial numbers were in the 300,000 range, often preceded with a stock letter Q.

According to the, interpolated from shipping records, serial number list in Charles Semmer's book, Remington Double Shotguns, 367004 would have been from 1906. There is no way to tell from the serial number or other markings on the gun whether it has Remington Steel or Damascus barrels. In a perfect world the Remington Steel barrels would be blued, while the Damascus barrels would show the Damascus pattern. However, in the last 105 years, many an unscrupulous seller has blued over Damascus barrels in a belief he/she could get more money for a steel barrel gun.

In this case these Model 1900 barrels from a 16-gauge KED-Grade are marked XKEDW down the bottoms --

and these KE-Grade 16-gauge barrels are marked XKEA1 down the bottom --

but this is not always the case!?!

No one can tell you over the internet what ammunition may or may not be safe in a given 100+ year old gun we haven't even seen pictures of. The gun needs to be evaluated by a qualified double gun smith (not Joe S**t the 870 parts replacer) with the gun in hand. Most Remington 12-gauge doubles were chambered for 2 5/8 inch shells and most 16-gauges for 2 9/16 inch shells, the "standard" shells of the time during which they were built.
gmgoudy

Re: Double Barrel Shotgun

Post by gmgoudy »

Thrank You so much for your help. The pictures are what I really needed.