Remington single trigger used for targets 1902

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
paul harm

Remington single trigger used for targets 1902

Post by paul harm »

Rolla A. Heikes “The Great and Only” of Dayton, Ohio.
Heikes was the first industry representatives in 1885, with the LeFever Gun Co., then used a L.C. Smith. In 1895-96, Heikes participated in 67 tournaments (despite having malaria in the summer of 1895) and was high gun in 60 using a Winchester 1893 slide-action. He defeated Fred Gilbert in 1896 at the 2nd “E.C.” Cup for the title “Champion Inanimate Target Shot of the World” in New York.
He defeated Charles Grimm on Dec. 6 1897 for the Cast Iron Medal using the new Winchester 1897. He defeated Fred Gilbert for the “E.C.” Cup again at Chicago, August 13, 1898, then successfully defended the “Cast Iron Medal” against Fred Gilbert at Eau Claire, Wis., in August and W.R. Elliston in Nashville in October.
In 1899 he used a Remington Hammerless to defeat E.D. Fulford for the “E.C.” Cup January and won the Sportsmen’s Association Championship Trophy in the trapshooting tournament held on the roof of the Madison Square Garden in March. He had the 2nd High One Day Average Wins to Gilbert and won the Diamond Charm for Expert Class at the New York State Tournament.
He used a Parker at the 1900 GAH at Live Birds, then went back to his Remington to win the first Grand American at Clay Targets held at Interstate Park in New York City June 12-15, 1900.
He was part of the victorious American team in the June 1901 Anglo-American Clay Bird Match using a Parker. He started 1902 shooting a new Remington single trigger hammerless, then used a LC Smith at the Ohio State shoot and to take 3rd in the last GAH at Live Birds in Kansas City. At the August, 1903 Grand Canadian Handicap He used a Young Repeating Shotgun.
paul harm

Re: Remington single trigger used for targets 1902

Post by paul harm »

I copied the above from www.damascusknowledge.com Thanks to Drew.
AZMike

Post by AZMike »

Paul, Was the single trigger a factory upgrade? If so did you see a price listed?
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

I just saw the reference to a single trigger when reading some articles on Drews site. I don't know anything else.
AZMike

Post by AZMike »

A related question:
How do you measure trigger pull length (to the back of the pad) on a double trigger? From the front trigger or the back one or split the difference?
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

From the front trigger. I couldn't post because there was only 23 characters, not 40. Guess I'm at 40 now.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

paul harm wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:59 am From the front trigger. I couldn't post because there was only 23 characters, not 40. Guess I'm at 40 now.
Quote is your friend, it always works ;)
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I have just about every Remington Arms Co. catalog from the introduction of the Remington Hammerless Double to the end. Don't have anything from 1896 nor the October 1897. I don't see a single trigger ever listed. That said, they were certainly working on it. I have a notebook full of single trigger patents that were either assigned to Remington Arms Co. or show a trigger on a Remington Double, from the likes of C.E. De Long, E.D. Fulford, E.H. Thorneley and G.E. Witherell. There must have been more too, as it seems like none of the single triggers I find on Remington Hammerless Doubles match any of the patents I've collected.
P1010014.JPG
P1010014.JPG (219.2 KiB) Viewed 5055 times
P1010013.JPG
P1010013.JPG (218.31 KiB) Viewed 5055 times
P1010012.JPG
P1010012.JPG (349.34 KiB) Viewed 5055 times
AZMike

Post by AZMike »

My friend and gunsmith Rick says that he believes many gun makers farmed out their single trigger install/build to Lefever Arms. I think Miller was much later than the 1894 era, more like the 30's.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

That is nonsense. The Lefever Arms Co. was acquired by Ithaca Gun Co. in 1916. If you are talking the later Lefever gunsmithing business, run by one of Uncle Dan's sons, they may have installed some after-market single triggers for customers but I've never heard of them doing it for any major manufacturers.

The Millers were well established by the 1920s. Ithaca Gun Co. had Miller install their single selective trigger in the Ithaca NID model from its introduction in 1926 to 1933 when they began using their own Harry Howland designed knock-off of the Miller. For a while in the years of the Ithaca Flues Model double they used the Infallible single trigger from Lancaster Arms Co.
1915 ad for Flues with Infallible Single Trigger.jpg
1915 ad for Flues with Infallible Single Trigger.jpg (49.06 KiB) Viewed 5022 times

The A.H. Fox Gun Co. used the Fox-Kautzky Single Selective Trigger. Joseph Kautzky came to Philadelphia and taught the Fox workers to build and install his trigger. Hunter Arms Co. used the Lard Single Selective Trigger on their L.C. Smith doubles, calling it the Hunter One Trigger (HOT). The Baker Gun Co. used a couple of different single triggers on their guns, by the H&D Folsom years they settled on the Lindsay trigger. Parker Bros. used their own designed single trigger.

There were several outfits that offered after-market single triggers (and ejectors) back in the day -- Bittner & Jaeger, E.D. Fulford, Lancaster Arms Co., Moran & Wolfersburger, etc.
AZMike

Post by AZMike »

Thanks Researcher! Shooting skeet with Rick this AM, I'll 'splain what you have described.