Bent hammer

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
No Deer

Bent hammer

Post by No Deer »

I have a model 1889 double hammer gun. The left hammer is bent in slightly. It fires fine, but the hammer lightly strikes the tang prior to striking the firing pin. Is this something that should be fixed? If so, what is the best way to fix it? Or is there a source for original parts to replace it? I tried an internet search for the left hammer and the only source that came up was out of stock.
dieNusse1

Re: Bent hammer

Post by dieNusse1 »

Hammers come up on Ebay from time to time. Seems that hammers and top lever springs are most in demand.

As for repairs -- First, looking at one of my '89s, striking the tang seems remote. Striking the back of the bolster seems more likely but I haven't seen yours. Is there any slop in the fit of the hammer to the tumbler shaft? Perhaps a bent tumbler shaft? If that checks out then maybe of bit of heat to bend the hammer??? I don't know if that's advised but I'll let other forum members let us know what their experience has been.
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

It depends how much it needs to be bent. A little, do it cold. A lot, heat er up. I'd leave it in a vise and heat just the neck with a torch. Two people would make it much easier. One to apply the heat and one to bend. A piece of leather could be used in the jaws of a crescent wrench, vise grips, or whatever you choose without marking up the hammer. Good luck.
No Deer

Post by No Deer »

You are right, it is hitting the bolster. Thank you for your replies.